My overstocked vase

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Coel03

AC Members
Jun 21, 2012
The plant doesn't filter the water if there's no cycle it doesn't use ammonia or nitrites. What your doing is cruel

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
not going to add to any of the stocking ..every one has already said what i would of said.

that being said an arrow head plant is not aquatic plant..its going to die with in a few months if it stays submersed. not being an aquatic plant it will do poorly and will not help in the filtration of your water ..or eve make the water quality worse.

if you want a plant to help with that get a fast growing surface plant like duckweed or water lettuce when it gets overgrown (with in a week) just toss out all but a small portion. or water sprite it grows like crazy and it will even grow up and out of the tank witch looks really cool.

good luck.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Plants can use ammonia and/or ammonium, although I don't think as efficiently as nitrate (or it may be the other way around)...not sure if there is a nitrite uptake mechanism.

Either way, it still does not make it an ok stocking IMO, especially since I believe that species should not be submerged.

Coel03

AC Members
Jun 21, 2012
Though where did you get the Pygmy cories I've been looking for them

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

rastoma

AC Members
Feb 29, 2012
Jasper, TN
I understand the concern but these cories are less than 1/2 an inch, smaller than my fingernail.
Ok, even so... may I ask why you are doing this? What enjoyment do you get out of seeing fish not being able to roam around and explore? Even though Bettas don't swim continuously, what do you get out of staring at a fish that doesn't move, especially when it has no place to move, even more so with a plant taking up most of it's swimming space? I'm not trying to be rude, but compare that to a long wide tank and watching the antics of fish and it's a pretty ridiculous setup. You don't understand the functionality of a 'nano' tank.

AbbeysDad

AC Members
Nov 7, 2011
Real Name
Michael
Yea, vases are made for flowers, not fish....and even the flowers in them will soon die ~.

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
You don't understand the functionality of a 'nano' tank.
This touches on an important point for me.

Despite other considerations already addressed in the thread... stocking, well-being of the inhabitants, and such... this really boils down to what kind of fishkeeping one is hoping to accomplish when maintaining a very small system.

When I see a successful nano tank that is setup and maintained to be as stable and balanced as a nano system can be, this is something I look at with admiration and pleasure. That adds an extra element of beauty or art from nature to the science behind our aquatic hobby which is quite impressive. Achieving that when we can is something worthwhile and any hobbyist who accomplishes this should rightly feel proud of their display.

At the same time, when I see a nano setup that's unstable or which places some aesthetic/decorative value over the welfare of the livestock and plant life set out on display, it just makes me sad to see it -- sad both for the fish/plants and for the hobbyist doing it.

Your reliance on being able to do water changes every single day for the full lifespan of a fragile, unstable, bare-minimum type of a system is a high-risk/little-to-no-return proposition that I don't feel is advisable. It's certainly not something I would enjoy looking at or feel good showing it off to others if it was mine.

AbbeysDad

AC Members
Nov 7, 2011
Real Name
Michael
The OP has removed the fish that were incompatible, no need to continue to bash
No bash - just a statement. All fish, even betas, deserve some room to swim around. 'Nano' tanks, like goldfish bowls are just plain wrong.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store