My Parrot fish is looking pretty board, hungry all the time

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SuzannaJSala

AC Members
Jan 7, 2023
I have a Blood Orange Parrot fish, about going on a year old. He/she looks super healthy. He’s getting super board with his food and spits out the sinking pellets. He was eating the large floating pellets and never spit the out until he figured out that they were staying at the top. Before that I was feeding him the medium sinking pellets and all he would do is spit them out. I always soak my pellets before hand because they are super hard. In combination to the pellets I am feeding him XL flakes in which he has a herd time chasing them. Ugh … I feel like I’m running out of options and it looks to me as if he’s starving all the time. What can I do?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
What size tank? Anything else in with the parrot? What's the first 3-4 ingredients in the foods you feed?

SuzannaJSala

AC Members
Jan 7, 2023
45 gallon tank. 1 Angle fish and 1 translucent ( I’m not sure the name but I can see his whole insides ). I feed him medium pellets, non floating, I soak the for about 30/45 minutes so they aren’t so hard otherwise he spits them out, he will grab onto some Tropical Flakes but they seem to be too small for him but the other 2 eat them. If he doesn’t eat all of his pellets in about 20/25 minutes I remove them and give him XL tropical flakes. He just looks board as all get out and he’s literally hungry allll the time.

Reactions: FreshyFresh

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
A hungry fish is generally a happy, healthy fish, so those are good things. It sounds like the fish is eating enough. Keep an eye on the ingredient list on the foods you feed. If grains and fillers are in the first 3 ingredients, I'd avoid those foods for the most part. High quality fish foods will have whole protein or plant matter listed in the first 3 or so ingredients.

SuzannaJSala

AC Members
Jan 7, 2023
Can you recommend? Also how do you feel about people that plant seed for carpet in their tank? That’s what I’m currently trying to do instead of buying a crazy ton of plants that he’s just going to pullout. I wanted to include the oxygen level in the tank. What other fish can I add, I would like a festive tank but I don’t know if he’ll have it. It took him a hot minute to get use to my 2 Angel fish until 1 of them got stuck to the filter and died. I had 2 Parrot fish but the other one kept bulling him, I had to donate him.

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Beware of seeds you can buy online to plant in your aquarium as most are either not true aquarium plants or are noxious weeds sold as aquarium plants.

It can be difficult to keep live plants in a cichlid tank especially if they aren't established well prior to adding the fish. You may be better off with plastic or silk aquarium plants.

SuzannaJSala

AC Members
Jan 7, 2023
Great!! I just started my tank. The dirt has been layed, everything spread out and I water it twice a day. I just started it a couple days ago.
What I planted is
3.7 out of 5 stars105Reviews

Alivonao Aquarium Plants Seeds, Live Aquarium Grass Seeds for Fish Tank Freshwater, Fast Growing Aquarium Carpet Seeds Mini Leaf &

SuzannaJSala

AC Members
Jan 7, 2023
Ok thank you. How did I get all of this meaning dirt/seeds out then? The customer reviews are 5 star and all of the customers photos have live fish in them, that’s why I went with this company. Is it just something with my Parrot Fish that he has to have certain plants to accommodate his vitality? And plastic plants don’t throw out any any type of O2 so what does?

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
I don't know what to tell you about those seeds you bought and the seller doesn't say what species of plants they are.

Blood parrot cichlids don't need certain plants for vitality but they may enjoy having some types in their tank. One hardy plant that comes to mind is Anubias sp. 'nana'.

I would not depend on any live plant to generate sufficient O2 to help your aquarium have more as live plants.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store