My plan for a new FW planted aquarium, please critique

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
Thanks for the reply! Since the 36 is only 30" long I won't be using the Tek and plan on trying my luck with the stock 20w Flo. hood but with perhaps a bulb change - going for a "low light" tank for now. As for tap water, in my area it is very bad - over 300 TDS and I'd expect nothing but algae problems if I used it.

Speaking of a low light planted aquarium, I'm thinking of this:

http://www.freshwateraquariumplants.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?page=FAP/PROD/PAP/LPPG

Does anyone have any experience with this company and their service?
What else do I need, besides the sand and aforementioned basic supplements from Seachem, to get started? Any thoughts are again appreciated. Thanks,

Chuck
you can buy more plants for a lot less on this forum and the planted tank forum

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
High TDS will not equate to algae and I'm a little skeptical about that product just "precipitating" calcium and magnesium. If anything I'd opt for mixing tap and RO.

I have purchased from them and actually spoke over the phone with the guy who runs it. Very high quality plants. Keep in mind they are located in MN and this time of the year we get some pretty nasty weather.

Chuck H.

AC Members
Mar 23, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
High TDS will not equate to algae and I'm a little skeptical about that product just "precipitating" calcium and magnesium. If anything I'd opt for mixing tap and RO.

I have purchased from them and actually spoke over the phone with the guy who runs it. Very high quality plants. Keep in mind they are located in MN and this time of the year we get some pretty nasty weather.
Thanks for the reply jpappy789. Just for discussion purposes...using tap water with a high TDS goes against everything I've ever read or experienced with the marine aspect of the hobby -specifically because it will contribute to nuisance algae. My municipal tap water is so bad that I could only get about 10 gallons of water from API's Tap Water Filter (which is just a DI column) when it (the product label) estimates it should provide about 70 before exhaustion. I'm not a fan of the waste water ratio with most affordable RO/DI units (not so much the cost of wasted water, just the fact it wastes more water than is used), so I opt to spend just a bit more and have used grocery store, WalMart, Target, etc. distilled water for probably the last 6 years for both my marine aquariums. My thought process with the Neutral Regulator is just to "restore" some sort of beneficial components to the distilled water to aid in buffering. I might be off base there. Also, thanks for the comment on the plant vendor - not sure where I'll shop yet, but I like to have some options.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I totally understand. On the FW side there of course are limits but the general rule is that if it safe to drink it is safe for your fish. Hardly ever do people not use straight tap, from what I have gathered. I consider most water I have used over the last few years to be pretty rock solid and never encountered issues. Most algae issues, for that matter, have been attributed to other sources.

nahrie

AC Members
Feb 16, 2009
Canby, OR
Real Name
Julie
Can't say much in regards to your plant plans, but I can most definitely say you do not want dojo loaches. They're a cool water species, best in groups, need a bigger tank, and will dig up anything you're planting because they LOVE to burrow. They're wonderful fish, just not a good bet with what you have.

Chuck H.

AC Members
Mar 23, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
Thanks for the information on Dojo's nahrie, I'm not a big fan of them anyway - they would have been my 11 year old's contribution to the stock list! I'll have to come up with something different for him.

Got some water in the bad boy today, here's some pics:

Just 40lbs of sand and a large piece of Mopani. Aquascape is certainly subject to change! I ordered a Nova Extreme 2 x 24w T5 fixture (30" long) from Marine Depot which should fit into the existing fixture slot (if not - I'll look into getting a glass top). The tank took just at 30 gallons (jug by jug!) of distilled water to be topped off after adding the sand and wood - so much for it being 36! Both filters are up and running (Eheim 2213 and Emperor 280) and the 150w heater is slowly bringing the temperature up. I added 6 Tbsp. of aquarium salt and half a capful of Prime (because I rinsed the sand and wood in tap water - figured it can't hurt).

So, once my temp is up to 78 I'll check the pH and hardness to make sure it's okay and then...what should I do? Get plants first or a few fish to start the cycle...or plants and a few fish simultaneously? Opinions are appreciated. Thanks!

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
theres a rule with aquascping called the three thirds rule or something. never place your "centerpiece" hardscape in the center. off set it some. get plants and some pure ammonia or a raw shrimp to cycle to tank. plz dont start with fish.

Unome

Love to Ride Our H-D
Apr 23, 2002
Ellenwood, GA
I picked up a 50lb bag of Home Depot play sand this evening for substrate.
Not overly sure about using play sand for your substrate. I've always used either the small pebbles - pea gravel - you can buy at Home Depot or Lowes for about $5 for a bag. Sure neats paying $20 for a bag at Petco/Petsmart that's about 1/4 the size. I've also used flourite in a tank before. Someone else can shime in if play sand makes a good substrate.

Good move on going with the canister filters. I will never again use a HOB filter for my freshwater tanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store