My Planted 90 Gallon Thread!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

seighten

seighten
Oct 30, 2006
am curious... have came across more than few mentions of this "green-water problem"...as i have set-up more than just a couple planted tanks and have YET to have happen in any of these tanks what i THINK these poeple are talking about, what "gives"...? too few plants, to many fish, maybe too much light initially...?

IsaacMTSU

Nikon D7000
Jul 24, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
www.IsaacCogdill.com
I think what happened to mine was this...I got the tank cycled and added some plants, then I added more cuttings from my other tank. Once I had quite a few plants in there I added a few more fish and some root tabs/flourish to the mix....Well, the fish were Buenos Aires Tetras and they devoured the leaves from my plants! I believe the loss of plant material and addition of nutrients and a higher bio load made the algae bloom start :nutkick:

Bk718

No Monkey Business
Nov 29, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
So its officially green water?? I did a 5 day blackout for gw and it didnt really help, well helped for a day or 2 but then went back to green. What finally helped me was adding Accu-clear to the tank per their directions and stuffing the filter with filter floss. The following morning replace the filter floss since it will be all clogged with the green slime and do a 50% water change.. let the tank run for a day.. see how it goes and then repeat if needed.

One of the main issues with root tabs is once they are added to the substrate and then all of the sudden the substrate is disturbed, all those nutrients go straight into the water = cause of green water. Ofcourse even a substrate that doesnt contain root tabs and is distrubed can give you same results..

IsaacMTSU

Nikon D7000
Jul 24, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
www.IsaacCogdill.com
Yeah I got some Accu-Clear after you suggested it, but I figured I would try the blackout to see if it would clear it any. I am gonna check it when I get out of class and I'll probably go ahead and add the stuff...and hopefully plant the package I got in the mail from Bk828:headbang2:

They are going in my 29G though...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store