My rat rescue...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
Thanks User_name, they are very beautiful rats. Out of the ten:headshake2: rats that will be dropped off tomorrow, one is a double rex patchwork rat(The hair grows so curly that it breaks off making her hairless) and one of them is a black berkshire. The rest will be black hooded, black hooded barebacks and black hooded broken backs. Maybe I'll try and take pics with my phone.
Woudl love to see the rats, found one today. Because of this post I released him (In my neighbors house :Angel: ) instead of getting rid of him....

Ratlova30

AC Members
Apr 2, 2010
Washington
Real Name
Chelsea
Woudl love to see the rats, found one today. Because of this post I released him (In my neighbors house :Angel: ) instead of getting rid of him....
Was it wild?

Ratlova30

AC Members
Apr 2, 2010
Washington
Real Name
Chelsea
Hello everyone, so I've had the ten rats for about3ish days now and things are going good. It's been a lot less overwhelming then I had originally planned but I suppose there's still time for the shock to set in:hitting:. It's actually been fun having the ten new girls hear, although there large cage won't be delivered til next week so Mariah and Nora had to vacate their martin's skyscraper cage after being in it for a week and go back to their old small cage. So their a little pouty but they will be back home once the new cage gets here. So anyways, I know I've said that I've had a large number of rats before but this is the first time I've had so many in one cage, like when I had eight rats there was two rats in each cage and with this group of ten it's just fascinating to watch the difference in behavior of being in a large colony to just having a pair in the cage. I guess I have had a lot of rats in one cage but that's when I bred feeders and the babies never got very old before they were gone(you know what I mean) I so wish my camera didn't break cause their so awesome to watch with their wrestling and their squeaks. So far one has a name, she's the only black berkshire and her name is Shay(after Shaycarl on youtube)she's such an obnoxious hyper rat I figured the name suited her. Anyways I'll try and get some cell pics of of all the cute little boogers. They've spent most of the night pushing their large plastic toys and tunnels off the ramps of the cage like it was a big sinkhole:popcorn:

Lady Ns

Critter Crazy
Sep 27, 2007
Australia
Real Name
Phae
Gotta say, I like what you're doing.

I had the same thing happen to me last year. 11 rats were dumped at a shelter, 2 were rehomed, but the others weren't. I got a call one day asking if I'd take them.
I still have 2 of them left, & they're over 3 yrs old now & still going strong :) Now I also have 4 rescue girls, which would've been PTS if I hadn't come along.
Quite happy with their health, just the biting needs to be worked on...

Ratlova30

AC Members
Apr 2, 2010
Washington
Real Name
Chelsea
Yeah rat biting definitely sucks. I've been attacked by two large dogs at once, didn't cry. Got bit in the palm by a recent rescue and was crying my eyes out. For some reason rat bites really really hurt. I even got bit by my 2ft sudan lizard the other day leaving needle like holes all over my finger(he got a little over anxious and missed the worm) and that didn't hurt much. I appreciate the comment though. I try my best to help out animals in need.

The girl and her mother never showed up with the cage the following week. Really really got my blood boiling. She responded to my first email and then started ignoring me. The cage their in now is large but it's not big enough for ten rambunctious girls. Definitely was a kick in the gut when I came to terms with the fact that they screwed me over. Over and over I here my fathers words ringing in my ear "I told you to stop trusting people so much, they take advantage of you"

Here's a pic of one of the girls that the previous owner had sent me. My camera broke so I havn't had the chance to take pics of them yet.

040.jpg 018.jpg

Ratlova30

AC Members
Apr 2, 2010
Washington
Real Name
Chelsea
She's a patchwork rat, so she grows hair but it grows too curly it breaks off. She definitely is a cute girl nonetheless.

Ratlova30

AC Members
Apr 2, 2010
Washington
Real Name
Chelsea
Yeah, double rex patchwork.

Ratlova30

AC Members
Apr 2, 2010
Washington
Real Name
Chelsea
Ok, here's two gentlemen that were surrendered to me a couple months ago.

The first is "Kitten", when his owner had dropped him off he said that one of the rats was as big as a kitten and I had dismissed his remark, brought them inside and low and behold there was a very large rat as big as a kitten so that how he got his name. He is a big rat but soon after I realized he was just a severely obese rat. He lost a lot of weight his first couple weeks with me, and when I had taken him off his diet he quickly ballooned up again. So sadly for him he has been placed on a permanent diet. He's never been too happy about it. Every night when I feed him he quickly hides the rats blocks in his house, dumps over the bowl of veggies and then patiently waits for food as if he hadn't fed. Every night he does this. Kitten is such a sweet sweet rat and I've really enjoyed having him.

Next is Templeton, he is the last two pics. He came with Kitten but they had to be house separately due to them fighting. Templeton isn't a very personable rat. I've found that he isn't really interested in me. The previous owner said his cage mate had previously died. Templeton is a biter, found that out the hard way. The neighbor kid came over and stuck his finger through the bars and Templeton let him have it. Bit pretty deep into the kids finger, blood gushing everywhere. Templeton has managed to nip me a few times when my arm got too close to the cage and i wasn't watching for him. We're working on our relationship though, with bribery... Every night when I dish out everyone meals I sneak him a yogurt treat, which I've only handed out yogurt treats after cage cleanings but I made an exception for Templeton. He gets excited when he sees me now and I think things are improving.

HPIM3229.JPG Picture 099.jpg Picture 102.jpg Picture 105.jpg Picture 108.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store