My redesigned Fire bellied toad setup

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

aquarium1

AC Members
Jun 19, 2009
Central Kentucky
what ever went in that secret ten gallon?
:iagree: lol
Do the frogs ever cause trouble with the pitchers, and how do you feed them? Also, how do you keep the planting substrate from falling in the water and dirtying it up? Thanks.

arachnar

AC Members
Jan 4, 2009
Awesome! Have you considered submitting the old 20 gallon or the new tank as an entry in the Aquatic Gardeners Association aquascaping contest in the paludarium section?

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
Do the frogs ever cause trouble with the pitchers, and how do you feed them? Also, how do you keep the planting substrate from falling in the water and dirtying it up? Thanks.
The frogs don't really do any damage to the pitchers they generally ignore them. I don't feed them myself, the crickets I feed my frogs find their own way there. The substrate sometimes does fall in the water but it doesn't make it "dirty". It just sinks to the bottom in mostly one piece and I scoop it up with a net.

In case you don't know I have moved to Texas and have started the FBT tank again, only this time I have done something entirely new for me. I have used a HOB filter as a waterfall in the tank. I used an AC 20 with supplemented by a mini water pump to provide the lift to pull up the water through the filter. Then after the filter has done its thing, the water spills over the edge onto my waterfall.

Here is a teaser picture:
20100810_16.JPG

20100810_16.JPG

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
Your guess is probably better than mine jpappy, I bought it at a Lowe's last year as a generic "Pitcher Plant". I looked it up though and I am 90% sure I got Nepenthes Ventricosa, the pictures of it online look the exact same as it did. At one point it had pitchers almost the size of my hand, about 6 inches. I no longer have it though, it didn't survive the move here.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Your guess is probably better than mine jpappy, I bought it at a Lowe's last year as a generic "Pitcher Plant". I looked it up though and I am 90% sure I got Nepenthes Ventricosa, the pictures of it online look the exact same as it did. At one point it had pitchers almost the size of my hand, about 6 inches. I no longer have it though, it didn't survive the move here.
Most Lowes pitchers seem to be ventricosa...I wouldn't expect them to sell anything else really.

And that's too bad that it didn't make it.

Right now the largest pitcher on mine is about the size of my pinky finger, granted I've only had it for a couple of months.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store