My review of the Sunsun External filter for 250g Aquariums HW-304A

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

katana1200

Unhealthy obsession?
Thanks for the kind words everyone. A quick update. After apx. 24 hrs up and running I decided to go ahead and pull it apart for a quick check. The cutoff valves worked great. Once disconnected a very small amount of water escaped. I would estimate around 1/4 cup. Easy to handle with a hand towel near by. I removed the whole unit to the bathtub where I popped the top off to check the baskets.

The first thing I noticed was the polyfill on top had some large particles in it. Nothing like the pad at the bottom, but enough to let me know there is at least a little bypass. However, I have not seen any of these particles thrown back into the water from the spray bar so all in all, it is doing its job remarkably well.

The hydroballs, I decided to try out, float. This made it a bit difficult to remove the bottom basket. I did not drain the water first, though, so I had the same problem with the bioballs. I removed them for the time being and may add them back in next time to see what happens. I would like to see what filter performance is like with rings/cotton pad in the first basket alone.

The reassembly process was just as easy as taking it out in the first place. With the baskets placed back into the canister and the lid securely fastened, I replaced the quick disconnect valve and locked it into place. Immediately the siphon started. There was no need to use the priming plunger again. As the water filled the canister all the air was expelled through the spray bar. Once the air had been forced out it was easy to see the water shoot up through the outlet hose and equalize the water level.

With that process complete all that was left to do was plug it in. There was a moment of gurgling as any remaining air in the housing and top curve of the inlet hose was sucked into the pump. About 15-30 seconds worth of micro bubbles came out the spray bar and that was all she wrote. The whole process was painless. I'm not sure what people are talking about when they say HOB filters are more convenient. This was amazingly simple. I ended up with less water on the floor than I do when I'm trying to clean out the filter cartridges of my Penguin 350.

I am noticing the water clarity improving greatly in just the last 24 hours. Very pleased so far. Will continue to update this thread from time to time to update you on the filter's performance. Any questions are welcome. I will answer the best I am able.

katana1200

Unhealthy obsession?
Thanks for the suggestion Mott. As a matter of fact, the efimech is what I have in the bottom tray right now as it is. I just don't have as much as I would like. I may have to add some on to my order at Kens, I'm due for some earthworm sticks as it is. Does anyone know a good source for cut your own coarse sponge? Ken's has the blue bonded filter pad, but I was thinking something even more coarse. Sort of the super porous, semi rigid, sometimes black sponge. If any of you have the duetto internal filters, it would be similar to the sponge inserts they have there. Will have to keep my eyes peeled for a sheet of this stuff.

To answer my own question........ http://www.lagunakoi.com/Open-Cell-Foam/Open-Cell-Foam-p-140.html
Isn't the internet grand?

Last edited:

MChambers

AC Members
Jun 5, 2009
Washington DC
Foam

Thanks for the suggestion Mott. As a matter of fact, the efimech is what I have in the bottom tray right now as it is. I just don't have as much as I would like. I may have to add some on to my order at Kens, I'm due for some earthworm sticks as it is. Does anyone know a good source for cut your own coarse sponge? Ken's has the blue bonded filter pad, but I was thinking something even more coarse. Sort of the super porous, semi rigid, sometimes black sponge. If any of you have the duetto internal filters, it would be similar to the sponge inserts they have there. Will have to keep my eyes peeled for a sheet of this stuff.
I used some Poret foam I had left over, from an order from Swiss Tropicals.

http://www.swisstropicals.com/Poret Filter Foam Pricelist.html

Used the foam pad that came with the SunSun as a template. The 2" sheets were the perfect depth for my 302 filter baskets. (Don't know if they are the same depth as the 304s.) Seems to be working perfectly.

katana1200

Unhealthy obsession?
Oh, hey that's a pretty good link MC. I like the look of the 20ppi red waffle cut foam. I like the idea of this sort of foam application. Seems the stuff would last dang near forever. If you went with something like that or the reticulated open cell foam I linked as well, should only have to rinse/ring it out a couple times a year.

katana1200

Unhealthy obsession?
Just a quick update here. Water is still crystal clear. Pump sound is dang near undetectable. Gonna break it down later today and check media baskets for cleaning. All in all I am very happy still.

WeedCali

Certified Dubhead
Dec 14, 2009
NorCal/BayArea
Real Name
Adam
So your overall pleased with the filter? im thinking of getting the 302. its really tempting at 39.99 plus 17 shipping :p

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store