My Scats Need Help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
This thread is getting rediculous.

To the original poster: if you're going to ask for help, you're going to get advice you don't like. When this happens, have the grace to accept it and go your own way without resorting to personal insults. Many people get frustrated or angry when someone asks for advice then gets told their ides are wrong/stupid/whatever. If you're quite finished, there's pretty clearly no reason to keep this thread going.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Is it finally locked? Please??? I'm tired of getting email responses. :p

BTW, I don't believe scats have even been spawned in captivity, so you can assume all of them are wild-caught.

ideas1400, Come back when your fish live for decades, not months. I have 2 elephantnoses that are 18 years old. Most of the fish you have can certainly live into their teens.

ideas1400

AC Members
Sep 12, 2007
Success. Thats it. My scat has started eating. Puttin him with snow white socofoli and tiger barbs worked. And The PVC pipes helped. First he saw socolofi eating and started to come to the surface and then went back down again without eating. This he did for few days. So I put in sinking pellets for 2 day. He saw socolofi eat from the bottom. And started eating from the bottom last night. This morning I putted in tiger barbs. They were eating from the surface. So I put both sinking and floating pellets. He ate all the sunken pellets very quickly and then after a while came to the surface and ate the floating pellets with tiger barbs. I had an idea this might work. I already did it to the milanochromis auratus. The other scat had some kind of fungus I dont know of. I will track down that disease and its cure before getting any other scats. It was very painful for me to lose him.

I have a gold fish that I have for 4 years. Another one for 3 years and 2 for 2 years. I had a pangasius cat fish that I had for 3 years, I bought him when he was 2 inches long and he grew to a foot long in my 35 US gallon aquarium. So I exchanged him at the pet store for other fish. I always exchange my fish that become big for smaller ones.

I have already asked the moderator to close this forum. He will do it soon.

And I knew a breeder who spawned scats in his pond. He used to live near my house. I have seen scats spawning in a 100 Gallon pond. And I have seen hundreds of baby scats. I would have asked him but I dont know where he lives now. He bred many species including angels ang goldfish. I got my first 1 cm long red scat from him in 1999. I was hoping to get a salt water tank and put a lion fish in it just like a guy that lives near my house. He has 11 feet by 2 1/2 by 2 feet salt water aquarium. Thats why I thought to experiment with scats. If this works and I am able to keep scats without any further problems for 6 months then I will think to get a small salt water aquarium and will put in it a pistol shrimp.

Right now I will leave my scat with socolofi for a month or two. Then I will buy him a 35 gallon.

Last edited:

ideas1400

AC Members
Sep 12, 2007
I started this forum so that my scats do not die. Alas! One did.

The scat ate at dusk and dawn so I guess this makes him a wild one. He is not eating right now at day time. Right now he is hiding in the PVC.

Last edited:

ideas1400

AC Members
Sep 12, 2007
I believe in the survival of the fittest. And if the fish are not fit then I must make them fit and strong. That is what I believe in.

I thank all those people who in ernets tried to help me. They are truly appreciated by me from then bottom of my heart.

I specially thank gangstafish, loaches r cool, mcox3 and rowangel.

And yes someone asked that if I have an idea how big pangasius catfish (irredescent shark) get. I have seen one that was caught to be just under nine feet long. I bet you did not knew they could be nine feet long!

Malbri

User
Dec 11, 2006
I agree that if you want advice, then dont get a mad at people who give it to you. It is true that most of your fish will either get too big for the tank or get stunted and die painfully. I am glad your scat is now eating, and I hope it stays that way, but the way you are caring for them, I doubt it.

Lansirill

Mathemagician
Jun 14, 2007
Washington, DC
I can't believe all the nonsense you people have been spouting. You absolutely do not have to cycle a tank. I keep my tank spotless and crystal clear, no ammonia or anything, and my fish are doing great. Mommy can I have some pie? I have a sump filter set up and I put water in there, so it has time to age, so I don't have to use dechlorinator or anything like that.

I've also kept monos and scats in salt and fresh water. They don't care. As for you who say they get dinner plate sized, you are crazy. I've never seen them get that big for me. There is just no way such a short lived fish could grow to that size. I want to go home.

Cut the guy some slack. He's been doing this for 10 years, which is a lot longer than a lot of you I bet, so I'm sure he knows what he's doing. Peanut butter peanut butter peanut butter. He has his way of keeping fish and you have yours. I like his idea of tank darwinism. He's making the species stronger, and that's a good idea. You're all living in a submarine! If more people did this, we'd have stronger fish, and we wouldn't have people getting all worried about them.

Get a grip.

loaches r cool

Snail Terminator
Feb 15, 2006
Gahanna, Ohio
tristan.homelinux.net
I can't believe all the nonsense you people have been spouting. You absolutely do not have to cycle a tank. I keep my tank spotless and crystal clear, no ammonia or anything, and my fish are doing great. Mommy can I have some pie? I have a sump filter set up and I put water in there, so it has time to age, so I don't have to use dechlorinator or anything like that.
I question if you know what cycling means... the only way you could have a tank (long term) thats not cycled is to have a flow through system that puts in clean water in at the rate that waste water is removed before bacteria could even develop. Some argue with enough plants that the tank wont cycle either, that the plants can uptake the ammonia and such before bacteria establish, so that might be an exception also. There might be some other rare exception I'm not thinking of either. Otherwise bacteria will form and cycle the tank, in the substrate, in your filter, on the glass, and in the water column.

I am sorry I cannot agree with survival of the fittest at all... unless you were trying to breed a new chain of super fish or something like that. Doing that with something like dogs would get you locked up in jail around here.

What you have to remember Ideas, is that folks here will usually dispense advice based on providing the best conditions for you fish possible. Yes, your fish could live in lesser conditions, and there will always be someone to point out evey little tiny thing that isnt perfect. Sometimes folks will get utterly furious when you make one tiny mistake. But as long as you trying to care for them reasonably...

Last edited:

mcox3

Veritas Aequitas
Dec 26, 2006
Phoenix, AZ

I've also kept monos and scats in salt and fresh water. They don't care. As for you who say they get dinner plate sized, you are crazy. I've never seen them get that big for me. There is just no way such a short lived fish could grow to that size. I want to go home.

Cut the guy some slack. He's been doing this for 10 years, which is a lot longer than a lot of you I bet, so I'm sure he knows what he's doing. Peanut butter peanut butter peanut butter. He has his way of keeping fish and you have yours. I like his idea of tank darwinism. He's making the species stronger, and that's a good idea. You're all living in a submarine! If more people did this, we'd have stronger fish, and we wouldn't have people getting all worried about them.

Get a grip.
Maybe your monos stay small becuase YOU'RE doing something wrong. Just something to think about. I've had monos but a few months and mine are already 5" tall. Theres your pie.

You say you age water in your sump. Can you please explain this to me as I could save a lot of money if I knew how this is done. mayonnaise.

I like how people assume that becuase a tank is "crystal clear" that it is fine. You dont have to cycle a tank, with bacteria it will cycle on its own. By cycling your simply forming a bacteria colony before adding fish. This is better for the fish. Some people choose to cycle their tanks with goldfish and other "hardy" fish. This puts the fish through a lot of stress. Essentially what is happening here.

Thats an awesome theory! If we keep making the fish stronger, maybe someday they wont even need water! Imagine that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store