my slowly developing planted tank.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
110 watts is pretty good lighting for a 40 gallon I would say. I think you could grow most plants if you add ferts and CO2. Could have algae issues if you don't however.

snoozer

AC Members
Jun 4, 2009
yeah. im planning to do low light since i am new to planted tanks. then ill move on to the other plants.

irishspy

There is a stargate in my aquarium.
Is that a 40-breeder? (Looks like one.) Are you setting it up without a lid? That's the next size up I've been considering, but I'm wondering if a lid is too fragile without a center brace. Regardless, it looks like a great start, and that driftwood is neat! :clap:

What kind of fish do you have in mind?

snoozer

AC Members
Jun 4, 2009
im not to sure if its a breeder. i got it used from a friend. yeah im doing my set up without a lid thats why i have the light the stands.

for fish im going to pick up 5 of my friends balloon rams and i think 1-2 panda cory's for cycling. then im going to get a school of neon tetra's and some oto's and rcs. but i need to get my plants soon. maybe this saturday.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
i wouldn't use the cories for cycling, or the rams. if you are set on doing a fish in cycle, go with something hardier, but a fishless cycle would be a better idea.

snoozer

AC Members
Jun 4, 2009
alright. i guess ill do a fishless cycle since its already cycling without fish. lol anyone wanna take my tank and do some paint work. im not to sure where i should put my moss and ferns. i keep staring at my tank and i dont wanna put them at the wrong places...

or give me some idea's to where i should put my moss and ferns.

Last edited:

Dan06

AC Members
Jan 22, 2006
Cool tank! How do you intend on doing a fishless cycle?

I wish I had the space to setup a nice planted tank again.

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
If it is 18 inches wide it is a breeder. If it is 15 inches wide it is a standard 38.6 gallon.
If you are going how tech you probably should forget the hairgrass and get something like dwarf sag. And keep your photo period short, like 6 -7 hours or so. Otherwise you could have algae problems .

snoozer

AC Members
Jun 4, 2009
thanks! well heres an update. i couldnt find any java moss by itself so i just bought a piece of wood with java moss on there and took it off that wood and put it on mine. i also got some ferns and anubia's! here it is!

oh and also i threw in that piece of wood i bought. lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store