My swordtail is having babies RIGHT NOW! (whats next?)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Apr 11, 2006
Eatonton,GA
I also have a greenswordtail who is about ready to pop....

Also have a Dalmation Molly who is getting ready to pop again

Hopefully I can manage to keep those alive **sigh**

Congrats on everyone's fish that are prego !!! GL 2 U

khombre

Jul 18, 2005
Quezon City, Philippines
I also have 1 tiny swordtail fry this week. Its in a pond full of swordtails and planted heavily with cabomba and hydrilla. Its hiding amongst the leaves. Its brothers/sisters could have been eaten though. Well, good luck with your fry everyone. :bday:

cindi

AC Members
Sep 30, 2006
Central Florida
Im jealous. I have 2 lyretail swords who Ive been expecting to pop for 2 weeks now as the gravid spot haas been growing for atleast 5 weeks. Before I moved them they we showing all signs of ready to birth, now they are growing and eating, I sware I see stretch marks forming on one they are huge. One has been swimming up and down as described above all day, maybe soon, I hope :coffee2:

birdman7389

AC Members
Aug 25, 2005
Dangit. Her belly is smaller now, without the red dots, and I dont see any little ones hiding.

Of course, With the Amazon/Buenos Aries Tetra's, daddy/momma sword, and Pictus cats....they had no chance.

It was really interesting though, I'm gonna get a 10 gallon for next time.

coupedefleur

AC Members
Jul 25, 2006
NW Ohio
khombre said:
I also have 1 tiny swordtail fry this week.
If you see one in that pond, chances are there are 50 or more hiding amid the plants.

Many of the plastic breeding traps are made for guppies, and a fish as big as a swordtail might bash herself to death in a smaller trap. I've made swordtail maternity wards out of 1/4" netting over a 8x6x6" frame and suspended it in a 10 gallon (cover the tank!). The fry drop out into the tank, and aren't dumb enough to swim back in to get eaten. Then the problem becomes "What do I do with all these fry?" Big swordtail females drop a LOT of fry!

I've also seen tank-sized breeding traps where you arrange glass or plex in a "V" with a gap for fry to drop through.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store