My tank looks awful.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Geeky1

AC Members
Aug 18, 2003
California
Visit site
Blegh. My tank looks like it was decorated by a toddler.

Backstory:
So I did a water test on my 30G last week to make sure that it was cycled; it tested out at 0 ammonia and nitrite and just a trace of nitrates with no water changes for about a month.

I did a partial water change and sold most of the contents of the tank back to the LFS on Friday (2 ~4-5"ish butterfly koi, 4 or 5 2-3" comet goldfish, 1 4" dojo loach); the koi were getting too big for the tank, one of the goldfish was getting ornery and I wanted something different.

I didn't see much in the store that really interested me enough to buy anything that day; my girlfriend found some baby angelfish that she wanted but they were those ugly black marbled ones, which I detest. So we left without anything, leaving the tank empty save for three white clouds and an old, fat, lazy and blind clown plec.

Well, we were out running errands today and we happened to stop at a store that I don't go to that often because it's kinda out of my way. She found more of those blasted angelfish (why can't anyone just carry the wild type anymore? I actually like those...), which I almost got just to placate her. I ended up finding something else she liked (thank god :D) though; a (supposedly breeding) pair of kribs. So we got them, 7 1"-ish rummynose tetras, a few otocinclus, and a trio of gold white clouds to keep the three existing ones company just long enough to get all six of them into the 29g I've yet to set up.

About the time I got the new inmat-er, victi-er, fish :)grinno:) home, I realized that all I had for decoration in the tank was a fake rock and some silk plants (I hate artificial plants, but not as much as I hate giving goldfish and koi access to an all-you-can-eat salad bar at my expense...). All the stores have, of course, closed by this time, and I figure that breeding pair or not, both cichlids would probably appreciate having their own hiding spots, and my plec probably isn't going to want to share his with either one.

So. Off to the aquarium decorations drawer in my office. Out comes another fake rock, a fake cave that doesn't match either the new fake rock or the one already in the tank, and a terra cotta pot-cave-thing that doesn't go with anything.

Joy.

Most of the silk plants come out of the tank, the rocks and pot go in alongside some bamboo that I bought while I was out as an experiment, the sponge filter gets moved, and the result is... well, see for yourself:

Like I said, it's bad. Bad bad. :headdesk:

Ah well, the fish don't care. I'll fix it after they get settled in.

And in case anyone wonders: No, it's not heated right now; the water is staying a consistent 78 night and day with no heater, it'll get one before it needs it. And no, the boxes aren't the bettas' permanent homes. Yes, they're far enough apart that they don't flare at each other. I'm not sure they're even aware of each others' presence. :)

Anyhow, just had to vent before I go to bed. Ugly tanks bug me. *grumble*

Last edited:

RodInCALIFORNIA

EBAY ADDICT !
Aug 5, 2008
CALIFORNIA
Real Name
ROD
its not so bad really you did what you could with what you had on hand. there is always tomorrow to work on it some more!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
We all had tanks like that at one time or another, and if that is what you had on hand for the time being, nothing wrong with it at all. A tank is nothing but constant progression.....

angel fresh

AC Members
May 23, 2010
hey it does not look as bad , in fact it gives a good look , keep things rotating it explores your aesthetics and fish feel happy too.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
What's wrong with it? Looks fine to me...just needs a background to hide some of that equipment (you probably hate poster backgrounds ;)) and if you're not going to do live plants, I would probably use sand instead of gravel. But live plants might be just what you need, start with some easy ones like wisteria!

Firemouth858

AC Members
Jun 23, 2010
I think it is really nice. I mean the plants are probally the only problem. I would also add another rock good luck.

wespastor

AC Members
Feb 28, 2010
Looks fine to me. A tank is always a work in progess. Maybe a difference rock and remove the terracotta thing with the hole in it.

A background; like a painted black one for example. I personally do not like thos picture things by the foot.

What ever you decide for yourself ...

Best wishes,
Wers

RustyRay

AC Members
Jan 28, 2003
Visit site
For a second I thought I was going to see neon-colored gravel, or a pirate, theme park, or an algae, snow storm. But it looks fine. I wouldn't be ashamed of that tank, not one bit. The bamboo is a nice touch. And I like terra-cotta caves.

Although, I'd question the need for an in-tank sponge filter and an external filter. The sponge filter is crowding the tank a little.

Last edited:

Geeky1

AC Members
Aug 18, 2003
California
Visit site
Thanks guys, it could certainly be worse than it is but it's still giving me an eye twitch. :lol2:

I'm going to give the fish probably until next weekend to get settled and then start swapping things out after the LFS gets their next plant shipment in, unless anyone knows of a decent place to buy them online that ships to the People's Republic of California...

Platytudes said:
(you probably hate poster backgrounds ;)) and if you're not going to do live plants, I would probably use sand instead of gravel. But live plants might be just what you need, start with some easy ones like wisteria!
How'd you guess on the backgrounds? :p: I'll probably pick up a plain black sheet, I'd paint it but with the tank set up now... yeah. Live plants are on the agenda, the silk ones were just in there because of the koi. I've given up on actually getting any of them to grow though; I've tried fluorite and eco complete, high output lighting and CO2 injection and no matter what I do a lot of my plants (pretty much any bunch plant I buy; swords and stuff do OK usually) end up dropping all of their bottom leaves and dying within a few months. I've pretty much resigned myself to just killing them slowly, since keeping them alive is apparently impossible for me. :uhoh:

wespastor said:
Maybe a difference rock and remove the terracotta thing with the hole in it.
Definitely going to pull the rock, not sure if I'm going to do wood, rock, or both to replace it yet. Probably going to pull the little terracotta cave too, but the kribs really like that thing, so it might stay if I can find a way to hide it.

RustyRay said:
For a second I thought I was going to see neon-colored gravel, or a pirate, theme park, or an algae, snow storm. But it looks fine. I wouldn't be ashamed of that tank, not one bit. The bamboo is a nice touch. And I like terra-cotta caves.

Although, I'd question the need for an in-tank sponge filter and an external filter. The sponge filter is crowding the tank a little.
I've been sorely tempted to do a tank with neon gravel and glow-in-the-dark plants and the most kitschy, tacky decorations I can find just for the hell of it, but I've never actually managed to convince myself to do it. One of these days, maybe... >_>

You're right about the sponge filter crowding the tank; it's only in there to keep it biologically active for setting up new tanks and keeping fish in buckets and stuff. I'll probably pull it and put it in the 40 I just bought where I can hide it better.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store