My tanks

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Well, good luck on those plants! Except for your red moss & red chain sword I killed all those at some time :eek: I hope they do better for you!
I raised the stakes even more, found me a pot of dwarf hair grass at petsmart of all places.
Let's see how long it lives for!
1000127133.jpg

And this is what I use for fertilizer, for anyone curious. The 10g shall be dosed 3x a week and will monitor if it needs more or less.
1000127134.jpg

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)

Compiled a list of the plants in that tank
caloglossa cf beccarii, eleocharis acicularis, myriophyllum tuberculatum, juncus repens, staurogyne sp bihar, hygrophila polysperma, helenthium tenelum, marsilea crenata, ludwigia sp red, ludwigia "orange", hydrocolotyle tripartita "japan", weeping moss, sußwassertang, cryptocoryne spiralis, cryptocoryne wendtii "green gecko", cryptocoryne petchi, pogostemon g a y i, persicaria sao paulo, anubias golden nana, anubias nana, hemianthus micranthemoides, heteranthera zostifolia, limnophila sessiliflora, and rotala rotundifolia.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
OK, maybe I shouldn't have said I killed all those plants...they did look very unhappy so I either gave them away or composted them. Dwarf hairgrass actually grew & spread a little bit...but it got both cyano & hair algae, I gave up. You have more consistent lighting & ferts dosing. I think mine got some morning window light & ferts are never my strong suit. I do better with root tabs...but that may be why the HG spread, looking for the food!!

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
OK, maybe I shouldn't have said I killed all those plants...they did look very unhappy so I either gave them away or composted them. Dwarf hairgrass actually grew & spread a little bit...but it got both cyano & hair algae, I gave up. You have more consistent lighting & ferts dosing. I think mine got some morning window light & ferts are never my strong suit. I do better with root tabs...but that may be why the HG spread, looking for the food!!
I've been told it needs good nutrients, but I've also been told plants will take nutrients where they're available, either through their leaves in the water column or via roots, they aren't one or the other.

And I'm reading the species I grabbed is the easier of the dwarf hairgrass species, so maybe I won't be unsuccessful with it. I'm good with the giant hairgrass.

I'm mostly nervous for this plant lol
But it's still looking good, so hey off to a good start
1000127398.jpg

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Nice new growth...& that's all that looked good for me for long. Maybe not your variation? I'm not trying to discourage you from trying any plants at all. We have very different tanks, water conditions, etc. My older lower leaves shattered in a mess as I recall, other myrios too :(.

Similar experience with tripartita, not sure about "japonica" (I may have had "red" a few times)...it seemed very fragile when I had it. Be gentle near it.

Good luck!

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Nice new growth...& that's all that looked good for me for long. Maybe not your variation? I'm not trying to discourage you from trying any plants at all. We have very different tanks, water conditions, etc. My older lower leaves shattered in a mess as I recall, other myrios too :(.

Similar experience with tripartita, not sure about "japonica" (I may have had "red" a few times)...it seemed very fragile when I had it. Be gentle near it.

Good luck!
Oh I know! Even with same water plants can be fickle that way. Some work for some and don't work for others.

I can't grow wisteria for the life of me. It dies every. single. time. Same with water sprite, bacopa caroliniana, bacopa monnieri, ludwigia repens, ludwigia palustris, frogbit, water hyacinth, alternanthera reineckii, cabomba.

Ludwigia is funny because I can grow it emersed, but absolutely not under water. I can grow ludwigia sp red and ludwigia altantis orange under water no problem. But not the others.

And bacopa monnieri I can grow very well emersed, but not under water.

Red root floaters only have thrived for me inside my goldfish filters, but not in any other tank I've added them to.

Struggled with Java fern until I added extra potassium on top of my fertilizer dosage.

I struggle with rotala too, but it's hanging in there.

But that's the way it is with plants. Never know if it's going to be one that works for you or if it's not unless you try it. Just because one person struggles, doesn't mean you will. And also of another person finds it easy, it could be the bane of your existence.

So, first time trying myriophyllum, I mixed it up with an "easier" (based off common reports) species and realized after that no, I bought the difficult species. But, I'll hope it does well. If it doesn't, I'll figure it out.

I added bacopa australis to one of my other tanks, despite my poor experiences with the other 2 bacopas I've used. So who knows, it may do well, it may not. I've seen some positive signs of adapting though, so that's promising.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
That's what I love about my plant club. I can try many plants but no shaming if I can't grow them well...or at all. We have a guy that tracks every mirco nutrient that may have various effects on any plant's growth. He's just way more into testing everything than I will ever be.

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
I'm happy to report the myriophyllum tuberculatum is indeed growing, as well as the dwarf hairgrass! I've got new growth on both plants.

It's even gotten taller since last pic
1000127683.jpg

Showing a new bud starting just under the crown
1000127715.jpg

Closer to the surface
1000127727.jpg

Top view
1000127718.jpg

Pygmies approve
1000127559.jpg

New stem poking out of the sand on the hairgrass
1000127755.jpg

Staurogyne sp bihar still a beast
1000127499.jpg

Cryptocoryne wendtii green gecko leaf, I love the red streak on this variety.
1000127597.jpg

Cryptocoryne becketti
1000127598.jpg

And bonus, the betta tank, relatively unchanged.
1000127694.jpg

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Sweet torture to see your pretty plants, lol, color me envious! I love the pygmy cory shot too. Who does like a soft perching spot?

I thought we'd tried crypt. becketti years ago but it never looked like yours.

With myrios the tops often look good for me for a while. They looked better behind bushier plants or scape.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store