My teacher has some sort of loach in a 10 gal!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sir

Please, can I have some more?
Nov 21, 2007
are you sure your teacher is willing to just give you a fish?
well i'm kind of her go-to man when it comes to fish, so she asked me if she could keep it in the tank so that's why i'm asking what i should advise her to do.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
None of the fish on the list will work. Sell the kissing gourami. If you have spare tanks, keep the goldfish and kuhlis but goldfish need larger tanks. The likes of comets, shubunkins and common goldfish need a 55g just for two. For fancy goldfish such as ryukins, a 40g would be the minimum.

Sir

Nov 21, 2007
None of the fish on the list will work. Sell the kissing gourami. If you have spare tanks, keep the goldfish and kuhlis but goldfish need larger tanks. The likes of comets, shubunkins and common goldfish need a 55g just for two. For fancy goldfish such as ryukins, a 40g would be the minimum.
well i know it sounds kind of mean, me saying this and all, but at the end of the year someone always kills the goldfish in her tank by putting some toxin in the water (usually hand sanitizer) and then she gets new fish during the rainy season because people like to dump the goldfish into puddles and my teacher saves them. this is the first time she has ever had non-goldfish in her tank.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
They're idiots.:( At least, your teacher is trying her best but the fish she has won't absolutely work unfortunately. Could you please direct her to this site? We'll be willing to help.

Sir

Nov 21, 2007
i'll suggest her to this site, but she is a very busy scientist so i wonder if she'll ever have time to log on? but i will definitely direct her here.

big54bob

AC Members
Jun 7, 2009
Lupin I've heard that 10gallons per fancy goldy is the bare min. rule. Some people use 20gal for the 1st fancy goldy then 10gals per each additional goldy.

For commons, comets, shubunkins its 60gals per fishy.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Lupin I've heard that 10gallons per fancy goldy is the bare min. rule. Some people use 20gal for the 1st fancy goldy then 10gals per each additional goldy.

For commons, comets, shubunkins its 60gals per fishy.
The general guideline applied is in some cases, indeed 10g per fancy but it depends on the strain which is why 15g is more recommmended to give allowance for space. A 10g however is a horrible housing system for at least one goldfish. If you want to keep two fancies, go with 30-40g. There is plenty of space for that.

No, it does not have to be 60g for each fish. The guideline is quite subjective however a 55g by itself works for at least two comets, shubs or common goldfish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store