My visit with Chef James Scott (with pics)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ara

Catquarium
Feb 4, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
So, back on Easter Saturday when I went home for Easter, I had a chance to go see James' (chefjamesscott) restaurant and all of his many fish rescues! I was definately impressed with how many huge tanks he had in the place, and how many different fishies he had! I also got a chance to meet his lovely wife (she seems like a fantastic person) and I believe 7 of their 8 children. They were all gorgeous kids and a lot of fun!! Definately one big happy family!!

He also sent me home with a few gifts! I noticed some of the corydoras's he had in one of his big tanks, and mentioned that they are my favourite fish. They were another one of his many rescues, and he mentioned he does not have the best of luck with them, so he said I could take them home! He also threw in a 30-gallon hex tank and stand that came from one of his more recent rescues (the guppies that were going to be flushed, if any of you read his post on it ;)). The guppies are happily settled in a different equarium in his store, so I got their tank!

I took a few pics, these are just the ones that came out okay from my hooorrible camera. Sadly, I missed getting apic of the turtle and the lungfish is other tanks.. Sorry about the quality!

James Tank 1.jpg

James Tank 2.jpg

James Tank 4.jpg

James Tank 5.jpg

James Tank 6.jpg

This is the tank my new cory's came from.. it's a big tank!! It was fun to watch him try to net out the little corys..

James Tank 3.jpg

Here's the new 30-gallon hex tank he gave me (the custom stand is still in my car... carting it up 3 flights of stairs to my apartment is still to come! ;)
DSCN2526.JPG

I had a bit of adjusting when I first got home to get all of the new cories in thier new homes. There was ten of them in all! They are different than the 4 I had already (peppered).. there was 8 little guys, and I am not sure what they are.. possibly juvenile green cory's, possibly dwarf cories. There was 2 larger ones (about an inch and an inch&half). The inch-long one looks like some kind of bandit-cory hybrid, and the biggest one is a green cory.

Here they are in the bucket that came from the store, after a long 8-hour drive home. Everyone survived!
Cory Cats.jpg

And here's the 8 babies in their new 10gallon home (in the first pic, you can just make out all 8 pairs of glowing eyes, littering the substrate). Since i got them in the tank, they have been zipping around all over the place, and if you look closely on the glass, you might see where they LAID EGGS (upper-right-center)!!! This happened 3 days after I got them home! Crazy! I guess they liked their new home!

New Corys.jpg

These little cory's dance all over the tank, especially at night, and my one lone guppy (Spaz) loves to play with them!! (You can also see my female betta, Red Sonja in this one). So the tank has a total of 10 inhabitants now, which is a little much, but I will be upgrading in a few months!

new corys 2.jpg

The 2 bigger cories I put in my 20 gallon tank.. and they love it there too! Especially the green cory, he is SO active it surprises me - much more so than the 4 peppered cory;s in there!! My cats love to watch him - and he seems to like to splash them!! You can just see both of the new cories hanging out in the front of the tank here, with some of my danios (and my male betta in the corner):

new cories 3.jpg

new corys 4.jpg

One big happy family on my end too. Thank again James! I love my new little buddies! It was really nice getting a chance to see some of your tanks and your amazing rescues!

James Tank 1.jpg James Tank 2.jpg James Tank 3.jpg James Tank 4.jpg James Tank 5.jpg James Tank 6.jpg Cory Cats.jpg New Corys.jpg new corys 2.jpg new cories 3.jpg new corys 4.jpg DSCN2526.JPG

rinmouse

peek-a-boo!
Aug 5, 2006
wow, sounds like you had a fun time, and some cute new fish to boot!

chefjamesscott

beware the house tiger
May 28, 2008
Was very nice to have met you as well. If you find yourself back in town feel free to come by again, I will see what I can cook up :0)

Knock another of my to do's off my list. I have for some time wanted to meet another member of ac or mfk.

Glad to see the fishies made it home okay. Nice looking tanks you have there.

Looking forward to see what ya do with the hex tank, glad I was able to find the tank a good home as well.

Ara

Catquarium
Feb 4, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
It was a really good time! And I completely forgot to mention that he made me an awesome vegetarian lunch with a really yummy curry-tex-mex vegetable & noodle dish and a type of pasta salad... It was fantastic!

Also really cool to have actually met an AC person!

I still have to find out how my landlord will be with all the aquariums (I rent privately, they have not been here since I got my tanks.. but we re-sign in a week so I`ll see what they say! eek!)

FISHSHROD

FI double SH ROD
Aug 18, 2005
Pompano Beach,Fl.
Real Name
Mark
:thumbsup:

chefjamesscott

beware the house tiger
May 28, 2008
Chef, what are the sizes of tank in your restaurant? some of them look to be custom sizes and they all look huge.
From left to right 6 ft 230g, 6ft 180g, 2ft 20g, 10ft 300g, 4 ft 140g, 3ft 90g, 8ft 300g, 5ft 150g, 6ft 180g, 4ft 75g in the back 4ft 100g, 5ft 100g

I am actually selling them off to replace them with custom 2 1/2 or 3 ft wide. Some of these are custom tanks others standard size.

My objective here is to have tanks that can hold the fish for life without ever having to upgrade.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store