My yellow tang...disease?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jayroi

AC Members
May 14, 2005
well, overnight my sand in my tank devloped brown all over it. there has been a little growing on the tank and leaves, i've been cleaning them. But theres a lot of it now in the sand. Seemed like it happend in the past hour, becuase i didn't notice it before dinner. Is this normal?

schigara

AC Members
Jan 2, 2005
Memphis, Tn
www.geocities.com
Jayroi said:
well, overnight my sand in my tank devloped brown all over it. there has been a little growing on the tank and leaves, i've been cleaning them. But theres a lot of it now in the sand. Seemed like it happend in the past hour, becuase i didn't notice it before dinner. Is this normal?
Sounds normal for a new tank. I think it is most likely diatom algae which usually clears up in a week or two.

How old is the tank setup and has it cycled?
What are your water readings now?
What is your biological filtration?
Are you using RO/DI water?

Get that Tang out and just give him to the LFS!

Jayroi

AC Members
May 14, 2005
hmmm alrighty. So now the yellow tang looks perfectly fine, and i just found my bi-color laying inbetween one of my rocks, breathing but not moving. I tried scaring him with net, but he just lay still. I don't nkow whats going on, he has black all over his face and some of his blue scalres are kinda yellow!!! OH NO!!

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
Umh, I must have missed where this was a new set up! Keep your ammonia,nitrite and nitrate levels less than .5 ppm or you're going to loose lots of critters. If you can keep it below toxic levels you'll do ok. I would listen to flboy though and get rid of the tang and anything else that you have that's really sensative to water conditions.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store