Mystery snails coming out of shells...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

aardvark1

Too many tanks are almost enough...
Sep 27, 2005
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA
Thanks-

WIll stop by the store tommorow and get some veggies!

plah831

Am I mod enough?
Apr 29, 2006
Monterey Bay, CA
I think blanching really helps. Just put the veggies in some water and pop it in the microwave for about 30 seconds. That way, the veggies are softened. Most snails won't eat living vegetation, but go right for the rotting stuff. So cooking the veggies slightly might help them recognize it as food.

what do you say, tmtpowers, Snail Guru? :)

tmtpowers

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
Burlington, NC
www.ferretvillage.org
plah831 said:
I think blanching really helps. Just put the veggies in some water and pop it in the microwave for about 30 seconds. That way, the veggies are softened. Most snails won't eat living vegetation, but go right for the rotting stuff. So cooking the veggies slightly might help them recognize it as food.

what do you say, tmtpowers, Snail Guru? :)
OOps!!! I'm sorry, I completely forgot that! Now my guys will eat zucchini as is however cooking it slightly does make the food easier for them to eat. The collards, spinage, ect should be lightly cooked because a mystery snail does not eat live plants, only rotting plants. For green beans, simply go out and buy a can of french cut green beans (yes they tend to be that picky on green beans LOL) in a can, rinse off a few a plop them in the water as is. Keep in mind with new foods it could take a few days for them to accept it as food. I've always cooked my guys food on the stove however, I am sure going to give the microwave a shot :D Just make sure to cool the food well before adding it to the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store