Nano Evolve 8

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jasonG75

AC Members
Jun 1, 2010
Memphis, TN
I do have a question regarding FLOW. I know you want to avoid as many dead spots as possible and filtration overkill is what I do with my FW planted tank.
Right now I have the SEIO 320 (320GPH) powerhead and now I upgraded the stock pump to a MJ400 (Circulation Pump Mode 500 GPH) so I am moving a lot of water in this 8 gal. BUT what about in between the rocks and behind them?

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Yep, that is the problem we all face and those little cracks/crevices are exactly the places where we want flow to be (for several reasons). Getting flow where it needs to be and in the right amounts is one of the hardest things to accomplish (IMO). This is why wavemakers and powerheads like Vortechs have gained so much popularity. Truthfully, you will likely never get flow to be perfect, even in a smaller tank like this. A good practice (even if you have high-end powerheads) is to use a turkey baster or a small pump (your current PH will work just fine) to blow across your rocks every so often. I find it best to do this just before you start siphoning water during a water change so that you remove as much detritus as possible.

Congrats on your 1st edition. Looks like a Yuma.

jasonG75

AC Members
Jun 1, 2010
Memphis, TN
A good practice (even if you have high-end powerheads) is to use a turkey baster

Congrats on your 1st edition. Looks like a Yuma.
WOW funny you mentioned that, I just picked one up so I could clear out detritus from the LR

Picked up a FeatherDuster today. Walked in the house (at lunch) Daughter asked me "What fish did you get dad", umm I didnt BUT I got a rock with a FeatherDuster..."Oh OK"

SW7.JPG

SW7.JPG

jasonG75

AC Members
Jun 1, 2010
Memphis, TN
something else I am learning. When I setup the tank I set it up with about 8lbs of ready to go LR since I didnt want much of a cycle and I am learning everything I am wanting is already attached to rocks. SO It looks like when I go to buy something I will have to swap (give her some rock back and use it against my purchase. She and I are good like that.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Try not to swap too much rock back and forth unless you can keep it wet and get it in your tank quickly. Even then you are upsetting the bacteria bed and stand a chance of a mini cycle. You can "chip" some corals out of LR in some cases.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store