Native British marine tank..possibility?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

1wizz

AC Members
Jul 1, 2005
Edge of the New Forest, Hampshire UK
Real Name
David
Camera Used
Mobile phone P30
Hi all,

After selling my much loved marine tank last summer to start a new job in the south of England I am starting to suffer withdraw symptoms.

What I’m wondering is can you set up a Native marine tank using spoils of the British cost line?

I’m guessing I can take salt water and substrate but what about life forms?
Has anyone used their local coast line before and what success have you had?
Thanks for any help, from a returning member.
All the best, David

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Very difficult to treat withdrawal symtoms for good other than supply your needs, lol!

Much easier, imo, than tropicals which ended up at lfs after long trip cooked up in the small bag/tiny amt of water from various locations of the world.
Who knows what they may have been expose to during catching as well as during shipment..

Questions is can you provide steady or should I say appropriate temperature ranges (yr around) where your own collections have come from. If you can, should be smooth sailing since you MAY be a seasoned veteran.

Dont know the quality of water at British Coast line but if fish lived in and were caught from that water, why not give it a try, especially when the most of the tank's inhabitants will be pretty much free other than little efforts/sweat you may have to render?

If dont have confidence in your local water, Run PS, Filter with Carbon/Organic removers, UV, etc. etc. before adding livestocks if and when desired.

For my native marines lifeforms, I done nothing except to run PS affter adding livestocks and that's not even running as of now.

Check any restrictions/methhods of catching before jumping into water!!

btw, I have caught, actually my boys did, Butterflys, Big Eye, Puffers, Groupers, Dottys (I think), Blennys, Flying gunnards, Files, Triggers, Sticklebacks, Seahorses, pipes, eels, Many species of USO, Jacks, etc, etc.
Hoping to catch lions (not a good sign globalwise) this Summer as I heard few associates catching some past few yrs.

One of my favorite was and still is a Fistularia tabacaria. Too bad I could only keep them for little while due to their size and food requirements (small fish). Wont even bother to bring them home.

Good Luck satisfying your itch!

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store