Need advice for a N00b to canister filters - Eheim or Fluval set up – 29-gallon tall – also anubias plants

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SentientDecay

Registered Member
Jul 11, 2022
I have 3 tanks:

* less than a gallon (2 plants, sand-like substrate, bladder snails to keep it clean, bio filtration only)
* 3-gallon (a couple of male fancy guppies & a nerite snail, heavily planted, smooth pebble substrate, bio filtration only, moving to a 10-gallon)
* 29-gallon tall (1 VERY old albino dojo loach, 4 black kuhli loaches, 1 small albino bristlenose pleco, a school of various subspecies of cory catfish, physical and chemical carbon filtration because the dojo loach is messy and cartridges are just so convenient, soft-sand-like substrate, lots of driftwood and rocks and places to hide, the dojo loach demolishes most plants, the pleco regularly redecorates his space as he sees fit and sand goes flying).

Background info on filtration:

For the 29-gallon tall, I've had a MarineLand Penguin 350 HOB filter for several years. The old girl has served me well, but it's getting louder as it ages. I've replaced the impeller, I've kept everything lubricated and cleaned over the years, it's just getting old and rattle-y and there's only so much plumber's tape in the world. Water quality remains good, even though our tap water is hard enough to chew and smells like a swimming pool before I dechlorinate. It's time to change up the filter situation.

I'd like to try a canister system. My fish like a good amount of water movement, so that's not a problem. I'm going to try to introduce more anubias species of plants into the tank because I like greener tanks, they improve water quality and quality of life, I can tie them to pretty much anything, the loach bothers them *less*, they're easier to fertilize, and they can thrive in low-light tall-tank environments (I like LEDs because they're cooler than grow lights in my very hot climate and I am NOT fussing with CO2).

The decision on new filtration:

I am trying to decide between an Eheim classic 150 and a Fluval 307 Performance. I have been researching reviews and videos, but there is so much conflicting information and so many differing opinions out there. I'm not so concerned about price, within reason - I am willing to invest in something if it will last a good long time. Frequent water top-offs are not a problem.

I am a little concerned about ordering pieces and accessories because I really don't understand what all I will need - I think I'd prefer a spray bar to spread out the force, but how? I need an intake that the kuhli loaches won't be able to swim up into because they are nosey little critters and can squeeze into tiny spaces, but is that possible? How much extra biological filter media should I buy? Should I bother with the polishing pads or just buy a big bag of floss? Would carbon or Purigen work better in this environment (I’ve used both, but I have no real preference)? Anubias species don't shed leaves, generally, but would plant debris be a major problem? What is the advantage to this lily thing I keep reading about – I’d be concerned about leaking or cracking connection points? Does anyone have trouble with any of the rubber seals in a very dry climate (humidity hovers between 10-20% where I live)?

Also, what lid would work best? Right now, I just have an Aqueon deluxe hood with a strip of glass and 2 pieces of black plastic on each side (one hinged and the other with breakouts for the filter). I replaced the fluorescent light with a 3-color 3-strip LED fixture that has legs that sit on either side of the tank. I'm thinking a canister set-up wouldn't need the big break-out section in the back.

I am more lost after falling down several online rabbit holes than I was before I started. Any input would be most welcome. Also, I'm in the southwestern US, so whatever I buy will have to be shippable to me here. Most of the local fish shops are gone, and the one that is reasonably close to me only deals in saltwater, so I can't rely on non-online shopping.

Side question on buying anubias plants:

Also looking for suggestions on where to buy many anubias plants at once for a reasonable price (like, maybe a dozen). I love them but cripes are they pricey at the local chain pet shops. I can cut and propagate some, but they are slow growers, so I'm somewhat limited on doing it myself. I have no subspecies preferences – I like them all.

Thanks!

Apr 2, 2002
New York
I run between 19 and 28 tanks. Only 3 use canisters- 2 x 75 and a 150 gal. On smaller tanks I use HOBs. I started out on my first tank using a Marineland Emperor 400 and an undergravel. I had to abandon the UGF and replaced it with an AquaClear 200 (50), By the time I was done ramping up tank numbers I had close to 30 AquaClear and when the Enp. 400 quit and I replaced it, they had modified ti and I had it on the tank for about 30 minutes before I boxed it up sent it back and got another AC.

Canisters have their adavantages abd disadvantages. The down side it the oxygen the bacteria need must be in the water as there is no exposure to air the way there is in hang-ons and other filters. I got my first canister for a 50 gal. high tech pressurized CO2 added planted tank. Because I planed to push the co2 through the canister, the only brand I considered was Eheim. Back then their top of the line was the Pro II. I have 5 of them now, 2 are on the shelf). They stopped making them a while back. I am a big fan of Eheim products.

I currently have two 29 ga. planted tanks. One uses two AC filters- a 200 (50) and a 150 (30). The second one is a tank where I parked excess plants and some breeding plecos. I has an AC 200 (50) and a 3i nch poret foam cube powered by air. Pretty much any of my tanks 30 gals. and under almost all use AC filters. Amd over 10 gals I tend to use two filters of smaller gph but which total more than a single bigger one would. I often use two heaters the same way.

If you are dead set on a canister, I would pretty much pick Eheim over almost any other brand.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Welcome to AC!
I agree with 2tank, 2 filters are better on most tanks over 10g. HOBs are easier & faster to clean than canisters. & with 2 you can alternate cleaning every couple weeks without any issues...even with the cartridge style, you can rinse & reuse them for quite a while. Like 2tank, I like Aqua Clears but have used others. My canister experience is limited to Renas & 1 Fluval. I hated the old Fluval I was given, it was very hard to open the dang thing. I bet new are easier. Eheims have a very good reputation especially the old 1s. But the flow tends to be slower, not what my fish like...but maybe yours would.

I like it that you have live plants :). In addition to anubias look at java ferns, they come in several varieties. With the small size of your tanks a dozen "more" anubias will be a LOT in your few tanks in several months or so. A couple java ferns that might work well for you are "needle" & "Phillipine". They're just as easy as anubias: low light, attached to rocks or wood, slow growing & a different color of green. Maybe try a couple.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store