Need Help/Advice! creating tank for Developmentally Disabled. Important!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Aegla Wish

AC Members
Feb 6, 2012
Wasn't sure where to post this.... So tried a couple forums

I need some help, so what better place than here? I am trying to create a tank for my work which is a residential facility for people with developmental Disabilities, especially seniors. They are not allowed to have any pets and I think it would be really important to them and make a great difference in their quality of life. They all love animals! I need help. Ideas, advice, good places to shop, discounts and donations would be greatly participated.

I have measured the space, and it is 32"x9"x16" but I can make the shelf out more to maybe 13, and I can raise the shelf above for more clearance. The power goes off and on because it is an old building and I need to make sure there is very little chance of leaking. I need this to hopefully last forever (a long time) be as low maintanence as possible so that they can continue maintenance when I no longer work there. I also need to make sure it is secure and safe so that it causes no risk or threat to residents and so they can't get into it.

I am looking at getting a 20 long

I need:
-Lighting- lighting plant friendly, looking into maybe a ballast
-A Heater- adjustable with thermostat. I like the digital with thermometer built in but not necessary
-Filtration, but no room in back for hang on and worried in tank won't be powerful enough. Need other options.
-Cover- will use a hood if needed, but would rather have a different cover so water changes won't be too difficult. Double glass or something?
-Gravel- looking for something more fine. I don't need sand but I want it to be diggable. Looking at a salt and pepper blend but thinking about other options.
-tank- I would like it to be about 30" I want it longer than tall, not more than 14" deep and 16" high at the most, but prefer lower for water changing, light etc.
- timer/cable org/ back up.- I need a timer for lights and something to plug everything into, brief time power back up would be nice, but timer most important.

Then of course, the little things
-net
-condition
- food
-decorations
-thermometer

Fish

-I want glass cat fish - maybe 5
-Rummy nose tetra- 7?
- aquatic frogs- 2
-snake looking fish (Kuli loaches)- maybe three (@ least 2 residents are absolutely in love with snakes!)
-maybe a few ottos and a large snail-
I don't have a surface fish chosen but I don't know if I need one. Suggestions welcome.

-I also want a good amount of shrimp.
I definitely want:
-Yellow Shrimp
-Sand Shrimp

I am also Looking at:
-Dark Green Shrimp
-Shri Lanka Shrimp
-American Glass Shrimp

My plan is to put some l brackets at the bottom of tank for security and a locking, simple, homemade canopy at the top for security. I also have room for a small locking cabinet below if need be.

Here is my big problem. We have a very small budget. The director gave me permission to write a proposal, so I did some research and came and asked her about budget, she says we have none, but write a proposal anyway. I am willing to pay for a lot of this out of my own pocket, but I don't have much money either. I think the most that could maybe be pulled of is $150 before fish and $200 at most with everything. This is very important to me and I have a passion for this project , just not enough money. I KNOW this would make a huge difference to the life of residents. Several in particular, and can just see the happy looks on their faces.

I don't think she would be willing to spend a lot, or even has hardly even funds available. She had a horrible experience with a giant freshwater tank which is about as high maintenance as you can get! It would leak all the time, drain when the power went out, stank, was hard to clean, and expensive to maintain. I'm trying to explain the difference and benefits of freshwater. She is hesitant.

If I had some shrimp to sell eventually I have a lfs to sell to to help with cost of maintenance. Sorry about my spelling. I'm a little dyslexic sometimes.

Please! I need help! This is very important to me and I am trying to figure out what to do. I REALLY need your assistance.

steffish

AC Members
Apr 18, 2006
I'm not sure where you are located but do you have a local aquarium club/society? They may be able to give you help or point you where to look.

AfishIonado

AC Members
Feb 26, 2012
Oklahoma
Awesome! As for a tank I would check around locally for a good deal or wait til petsmart has a good sale. try looking around the forums for people selling fish and shrimp and tell them what it's for and you may be able to get them to donate it. Substrate I got 50lb bag of aquarium gravel (fine) for $25

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
I think you should take a step back and see who you really want to set this up for! Fwiw I have maintained aquariums in many retirement and rehab facilities and your stock list, while nice for a normal community tank does not take the special needs of the intended audience into account. Many don't have the patience to have to hunt down a Kuhlii Loach, they want a big, bright easily appreciated fish. And furthermore a 20 gal high is a far better tank from the standpoint of the viewer, which in this case would overrule the fact that a 20 long is better from the standpoint of most fish. Fancy Goldfish and Parrotfish, although both a bit big for a 20 are excellent fish for these types of tanks, as are Mbuna. Big colorful and not hiding are what you want for fish in a tank aimed at your intended audience.

Manafel

AC Members
Oct 10, 2011
Tulsa, OK
Real Name
Kayla
Have you thought about looking at Craigslist? There is almost always a reasonably priced aquarium, you just have to make sure the seller is willing to fill it up so you can check for leaks.

Cryolath

AC Members
Apr 14, 2008
I also need to make sure it is secure and safe so that it causes no risk or threat to residents and so they can't get into it.
You're going to have to think about this very carefully, because I think that this is going to be your biggest problem. It is wonderful to have pets, but the residents interest in the tank is going to be a big problem. The more interested in it they are the more they are going to want to help, or to touch. I have never had to secure a tank so I don't know if its possible to secure the lid against being opened, and many fish deaths have been caused by things being put into a tank that shouldn't be. Tanks are also made of glass, and while they are very sturdy under normal circumstances I don't know how long it will last if the residents can get close enough to tap on or accidentally knock into the glass, again, I've never had to set up a tank in a public place, but it seems like something to be aware of. I think that you should only contemplate this project if you are sure you can lock the tank against tampering.
What kind of shelving is this going to be put on? It would help if you could post a picture or the specs of the shelves to make sure that it will actually hold this kind of weight long term.
You're going to need a tank that can survive low maintenance and occasional power outages, where I'm sure the tank will be the least of anyone's worries, so it's going to have to manage on its own:
1. With intermittent outages I would advise doing a cold water tank so heat isn't an issue
2. Low maintenance = low stocking levels
With that in mind I would go with:

20 long with a school of 8-10 white clouds or a
10H with a paradise fish

I'm sure there are other options, but I've never had a non-tropical tank. Both of those seem to have enough color or movement to keep them interesting. As far as plants go I would do without them, or do low light with some java fern and anubias, they should grow well on their own with no real maintenance. I would advise against shrimp, its just one more thing to take care of, you need to make sure food makes it to the bottom, and that means more clean up every time food goes into the tank. If you want shrimp to sell back to the fish store you should probably get yourself a tank to raise shrimp in.
Item list:
1. Tank: I keep hearing about petco or petsmart having $1 a gallon sales or check Craigslist
2. Hood/light: I don't know how to get a tamper proof hood, but you can get a cheapish light for low light plants probably at a hardware store
3. Filtration: Maybe think about a sponge filter with an air pump. The air pump and sponge are cheap and it will be easy to tell if the sponge needs to be cleaned. It may also be easier to teach someone else how to maintain it if all they have to do is rinse the sponge out instead of dealing with a HOB with a closed container to clean and put back together.
4. Food
6. Water conditioner
7. Net
5. Syphon: Definitely a must have
6. Substrate: maybe a thin layer of sand so you don't have to worry about junk getting trapped in it. Grab a couple of rocks off the ground and clean them off for a nice cheap hardscape.

Sorry about this being so long, I actually started out just wanting to say that you seemed to be over complicating things when what you wanted was a cheap, low maintenance tank that can survive a lot of neglect if it needs to. Good luck with this project.

To3kn33

AC Members
Jul 3, 2010
London
Real Name
Tony
From experience of working with adults with learning disabilities and now being a deputy manager of a company that offers care for people of all disabilities I love this idea. It will be a hard one to police, especially as the previous post states people are tactile and love touching things. Best fish is always goldfish but with your tank that won't work. Good luck with the project!!!
Tony

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
Get the largest acrylic tank that you can fit up there.

secure it with a sheet of plexiglass and the locks that they sell for storage cases. Drill holes in the top to allow gas exchange but prevent fingers etc from reaching into the tank. For safety sake I'd make sure the shelf could hold your tank and the largest person there who might feel the need to hang on it. strapping the tak to the wall would be a good idea.

coldwater is the only way to go with a paradise fish, wcmm, ghost shrimp and maybe some dwarf neon rainbows for color. BN plecos can also thrive in a cooler tank. There are actually many fish that most consider tropical that can thrive in coldwater. Roseline sharks, killifish, some gouramies, etc.

for filtration you need to keep it all in the tank for security reasons so a UGF driven by a pair of powerheads is the best option. I would skip the plants if possible but if you must have them I would keep it to low light and small root system plants like java or anubis.

kcartwright856

AC Members
Mar 8, 2012
Millersburg, PA
www.facebook.com
Real Name
KC
This really brightened my day! And I think it will for others, too. That's why my advice to you is to write up something just like you posted above and put it on Craigslist every day (And do it for the three around your area. If people believe in a cause, they will make it happen even if they aren't in your city!)

Also, if you have a Facebook page or know someone that does, post it there and ask people to share it around. Word-of-mouth is powerful! A lot of people have spare aquarium parts laying around in their attics (Or is that just my family?!) or have a few dollars to donate.

And remember that you may have to make compromises on some things!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store