need help finding an algea eater

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

acocacolagirl

AC Members
Dec 2, 2004
Do shrimp need salt in the water? I have seen pretty shrimp at the lfs, but I always assumed they needed salt in the water. I don't put any salt in my water.

ChileRelleno

500+ jumps-n-counting,SKYDIVE!
Feb 10, 2005
Mobile, AL
The shrimp being suggested are FW.
I do believe that most of these FW algae eating shrimp are filter feeders, eating freefloating diatom algae? I'm not completely sure however, so I need to go research FW shrimp ;)
Anyways, the Oto's will eat their preferred algaes where ever they find it, on the glass, plants, decorations, substrate but not in the water column...

Michael_G

AC Members
Mar 21, 2005
have you thougt about a pretty placo? thay grow to 4 inchest
just perfect for you! also the zebra pleco but their like 200 $!!!!
maybe a borneo sucker they are really small so you could buy 5

acocacolagirl

AC Members
Dec 2, 2004
Oh yes, a zebra is my first choice!! -- if I happened to have $200. I just dont know what other pretty pleco would be appropriate. And I just found out that the local lfs is closing so I wont even have a to go to for advice. Some how, I just don't quite trust the advice Pet-co might give me about my fish... Basically, I rely on fish forums and Liveaquaria.com to get info about fish. But the plecos advertised on Liveaquaria all need a 30 gallon tank - according to them.

acocacolagirl

AC Members
Dec 2, 2004
ok...went to a new lfs today and got some otos and a shrimp...but the funny thing is, so far the otos have been all over the tank, but the shrimp hasnt left the cave. :)

I couldn't find any borneo suckers.

Last edited:

ChileRelleno

500+ jumps-n-counting,SKYDIVE!
Feb 10, 2005
Mobile, AL
Zebra Plecos are not algae eaters, as a matter of fact they prefer a meaty diet....
They are definitely on the carnivorous side of omnivore, they are real Beef & potato guys ;)

jparnell

AC Members
Aug 29, 2004
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
The shrimp might take a while to get accustomed to the tank. Mine hid in their cave for a good two weeks before I saw them during the day. They tend to be more nocturnal. Depends on tank mates too. The shrimp in my 10gallon have only cories as tankmates, and they're out all the time - no worries about being eaten.

Keep us posted - hope things go well

acocacolagirl

AC Members
Dec 2, 2004
Well that is good to know that a zebra pleco would be of no help to me. Makes me feel better about the fact that I'll never be able to afford one! :)

I just had a sudden worry about my shrimp....last time I saw him he was tucked way deep into one of the plants and I could only see his eyes....this could be a serious problem when I do a grav vac. I have know doubt he could easily be sucked right up if I dont know exactly where he is hiding at the moment! :eek:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store