need help identifying fish that were given to me

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

buck nash

AC Members
Oct 4, 2016
Hi new member here. Looks like there's lots of helpful people on here so here's my problem. I responded to an ad for a free 56 gal tank yesterday. The ad said there was some fish included. I was very surprised when i got there to see the free fish that were included. I know that 2 are cichlids but im not sure about the types and i understand there's upwards of 2000 varieties. One is quite large (about 8") One is a gourami. Hes a bit haggard but i think he's a powder blue. There's also a smaller cichlid about 5" The other 2 are a species that i haven't seen before. I've combed through tons of pics on Google but can't find any species that match.

Maybe you guys can help me identify them so i can be sure I'm researching the proper care for these specific varieties. I would normally research their care before bringing them home but in this case i didn't get the opportunity.

I'll try to send some pics

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Looks like a Red Devil Cichlid.

Reactions: buck nash

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
I agree on the red devil. The one in front in your first picture kind of looks like an electric blue jack dempsey. The striped one is likely a Leporinus fasciatus.

Reactions: buck nash

buck nash

AC Members
Oct 4, 2016
Thanks guys!

You're right about the leporinus for sure. I looked that up and found a couple pics that were nearly identical.

It's hard to be certain about the other one being an electric blue jack dempsey though. It's such a diverse breed. When i Google it, there were some pics that had similar markings and others that were quite different. Body shape was about the same on most though.

I really appreciate the help guys. I want to make sure they're getting the best care possible and it's hard to research that without the starting point you guys have provided. Thanks again

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
The other cichlid is a jewel cichlid.
I've never seen that much spangling on a jewel before. The head shape didn't really scream "jewel cichlid!" at me, but looking at the fin shape I can see it. The spangling throws me off of thinking jewel though.

It's hard to be certain about the other one being an electric blue jack dempsey though. It's such a diverse breed. When i Google it, there were some pics that had similar markings and others that were quite different. Body shape was about the same on most though.
Color with EBJD is variable, but body shape and fin structure will be what you want to look at. But I'm not even 50% certain that is what it is, that's just what the fin structure and facial features got me thinking.

In the size tank you have these species might not be compatible. I'd suggest researching them and looking for minimum tank size requirements to get an idea on what you'll be dealing with. I would not suggest adding other fish with this mix, so if you want different things you may consider rehoming the fish that you currently have (all of which are territorial and aggressive and some will get quite large).

buck nash

AC Members
Oct 4, 2016
Yes the research I've done so far says that the red devil alone fills this tank. The leporinus call for a tank at least 48" long and this one is closer to 36".

However they all seem to get along ok at the moment. The red devil chases the lepos a bit but not constantly or to the point where they look stressed. The smaller cichlid is being ignored. In fact the 2 cichlids are often peacefully hanging out together in the giant hole that the red devil dug in the gravel. The gourami looks like hell but its all damage from past encounters. Nobody seems to notice him now.

I think i can keep this group together but i agree a bigger tank would be better. My wife is having fits about more or bigger tanks in the house though. I'll have to wait a bit and go gradually with her or there's a strong chance she will put her foot down. And once the foot comes down there's no negotiations after that.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store