Need Help, New Brackish Tank Cycling w/ Fish.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

invertebrater

invertebrater
Mar 6, 2009
Northern California
Real Name
Tommy
Crab Tank Dam

Here is a little update on my progress with the red claw crab tank. I finished gluing all the rocks together on the dam and the ramp with aquarium sealant. Used a blow dryer so they would set how i wanted them, now just need to wait for it to fully set and dry (48hrs or so).

I'll be cleaning and rinsing the new sand tomorrow and leaving it to soak till the tank is ready to be filled in. Anyone have any good tips on this? I figure I'll be just rinsing it with water till it's clear.

crabtank1.jpg

Mokomon

You can call me Sharon :)
Oct 16, 2008
N.H.
COOL!!

invertebrater

invertebrater
Mar 6, 2009
Northern California
Real Name
Tommy
here's something i rigged up for faster cycling. i seeded substrate from my 125g into an old filter media and placed it below my two whisper 10i's. then, i found that you could use scuff pads as good bio media, since my old 10i's bio foam was eaten up a bit up by wear and tear. i cut up two pieces of scuff pad i had and placed them in both filters, as you can see i cut the left one a little higher than the one on the right. i really hope this speeds up my fishy cycle. i'm still getting 7-8ppm readings on my ammonia test but it's gone done by about 50% from when i first tested it just by how much lighter in color the results are now. im not able to get any nitrite or nitrate readings though because i fail and do not have those tests yet (which i will get as soon as funds are available to me).

do you guys think the scruff pads are better than the tetra bio foam? and do you guys think that the tetra bio foams left under the filters will help? :confused:

cycle1.jpg cycle2.jpg

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
It would speed up your cycle if you were cycling a FW tank. The bacteria are (I believe) the same for FW and BW, but they need a very slow change in salinity. Taking the pads out of your FW tank and dropping them into the BW tank will most likely kill the bacteria.

invertebrater

invertebrater
Mar 6, 2009
Northern California
Real Name
Tommy
It would speed up your cycle if you were cycling a FW tank. The bacteria are (I believe) the same for FW and BW, but they need a very slow change in salinity. Taking the pads out of your FW tank and dropping them into the BW tank will most likely kill the bacteria.
yes, you're absolutely right, i do not plan to acclimate the fish/crab to BW until a full cycle has been reached. that way i will be able to change the FW to BW gradually in order to ease the shock on them. thanks for the tip though, ive been doing a lot of research.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
That will work also. I would let the media sit in the cycled tank for a week or so, then seed your new tank and start increasing the salinity.

invertebrater

invertebrater
Mar 6, 2009
Northern California
Real Name
Tommy

inkyjenn

AC Members
Jun 15, 2008
southern california
ok, i hope you arent keeping a gsp in 6 gallons of water. they need 30 gallons minimum for just one. please please please please please go read up at thepufferforum.com. they have all the info you need on how to keep one of these beautiful fish

invertebrater

invertebrater
Mar 6, 2009
Northern California
Real Name
Tommy
umm well.. if you watch the youtube video you can see that the two GSP are in a 10g tank filled to the top with water. they will be moved into a 55g+ when i am able to get one, currently looking. i've already done my research on the GSP, currently they are small and do not mind being in the 10g too much they don't have gray bellies and always spread their fins open all the way and love to eat pond snails that i raise for them. they are kept in 1.005 SG brackish water and temps are at 80F. the rule of 30g per GSP is at full adult size - about 6" and my GSP are 1.5" and 1".. so they have plenty of time before needing 30g each..

the two RCC's are now in a 10g of their own with about 1.5 gallons of water and a lot of access to land. thanks for the concern but the GSP's are doing fine and are well taken care of.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store