Need help with African Dwarf Frogs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Wolverine45

AC Members
Oct 18, 2010
Hi there. I am a first time frog owner. My boss just gave me these frogs that he got in a frog-o-sphere...I already upgraded their tank because that was no enough room for them.

I have one problem...they are fighting over food...is this normal? There is a bigger one that always takes the food from the smaller one. What should I do? Any advice on caring for these frogs and making sure they both get fed without fighting would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

-Wolverine

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
first off, how big is their tank now? also, what are you feeding them?

GoldLenny

Senior Member? Do I get a 5% disc.?

Wolverine45

AC Members
Oct 18, 2010
I have 2 frogs and their tank is 3 gallons.

I was feeding them frozen blood worms.
Thanks for the info sheets, I will take a look tonight!

Juice

KillaOJ
Jan 4, 2009
NorCal
I have 2 frogs and their tank is 3 gallons.

I was feeding them frozen blood worms.
Thanks for the info sheets, I will take a look tonight!

3g should be perfectly fine for 2 of these froggies-Kudos on the upgrade those frogO'spheres are terrible. You could target feed the smaller frog with a turkey baster to make sure he gets his fair share of the goods.

Ashes2ashes

Smash the owl!
May 4, 2010
Cola town SC
Real Name
Ash
3g should be perfectly fine for 2 of these froggies-Kudos on the upgrade those frogO'spheres are terrible. You could target feed the smaller frog with a turkey baster to make sure he gets his fair share of the goods.

Totally agree here! Ty for saving more frogs from the small frog-o-spheres. If they are the same age, and one is much bigger than the other, then you probably have a male and female. The females are bigger than the males. Another tip on making sure the other gets fed is the way I used to feed my AC frogs....just get some tweezers, or even use your fingers and hold the food in front of their face. Those frogs don't see very well at all, so they rely on other things to sense food in the water, but if you hold it in front of them usually they will snatch it. Hope this helps. :)

melissasroja

AC Members
Sep 28, 2010
Connecticut
Real Name
Melissa
Long tweezers will definitely help. Also try dropping the worms in a few different locations in the tank. If the larger one keeps taking all the food you might have to pull the small one out every other day and feed it away from the big one to be sure hes eating. Frozen brine shrimp is great too as they are smaller and you can put a good amount in the tank and they sort of scatter all over the place. Enjoy your new frogs! I have 2 in a 10 gallon and they are just so cute. Thinking about adding in 2 more soon :)

Wolverine45

AC Members
Oct 18, 2010
Thanks, Melissa!! What do you think is the best way to scoop the frogs out of the tank? I did it once using a cup and the little guy, Clark, almost got away!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store