need help with my tang

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

caz

I'm a Sinker!
Apr 7, 2003
i copied this from another site i found while surfing, what do ya think?

By not having sufficient plant life consuming ammonia, phosphates, nitrates, and carbon dioxide, You can have many problems. Additionally, the plant life will filter out toxins and even heavy metals. The brown algae bloom is simply because you do not have plant life consuming the nutrients the brown algae is consuming.

It is obvious to my looking back that my new fish were basically sufficating. Because there was not enough plant life consuming the carbon dioxide. Carbon dioxide also leads to ph drops.

I highly reccommend you establish a thriving plant life to stabilize, filter, and establish high quality water for your fish. Besides, the tang will really really appreciate some live gracilaria or caulpera profilera to graze on.

Sure protect the plant life. use a refug or even culture it in another container. But get the plant life controlling the aquarium. In short take care of your plant life and it will take care of your system

worth a shot?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
If you have adequate surface agitation, CO2 won't remain dissolved in the water, but will gas off at the surface and remain in equilibrium with the atmosphere--if you aren't gaspng, neither will your fish. Adding lots of plants actually does the opposite--they add O2 during the day, but need it at night just like the fish, so while day time levels are stable, it can cause a huge shift in pH after lights off.

caz

I'm a Sinker!
Apr 7, 2003
ok no plants then. :) i think im gonna try and treat tommorrow with kent rxp, what do ya think?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
You may want to chat with gbolton about it--he used it successfully, but didn't follow the instruction precisely--he adapted it for his inverts.

caz

I'm a Sinker!
Apr 7, 2003
ok, i set up a hospital tank. its only a 10 gallon, but i guess it will have to do, the tang is small, maybe 2.5 inches. i have an air pump for it, which has nice surface agitation, and a small rock from the old tank. i filled the tank with water from the main tank. is this suffice? what temp should i keep it at?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I'd keep it at the same temp as the tank. Raised temps are effective against ich, but I'm not sure about velvet, and it may stress the tang to move it around and have massively different temps, too.

caz

I'm a Sinker!
Apr 7, 2003
ok. any other advice on the QT? its my first one, and i wanna do it right. my lfs told me to just get something to move the water around, a small heater, and a lid with some lights, which i already had. he said i didnt need substrate or live rock, maybe a few peices to let them hide, but thats it.

loyalty

AC Members
Apr 1, 2004
Clarksville, TN
Visit site
i've got a friend that has the same problem. his yellow tang hides all the time, and when it does venture out, it gets startled and bolts to his hideout. It's the only fish in his tank, as well as the first fish he's gotten. Also, it doesn't seem to be eating, and sticks to one side of the tank, which is evidently atypical of tangs. The whole situation has me turned off on tangs, I'm gonna stick with clowns when my tank is ready for fish

caz

I'm a Sinker!
Apr 7, 2003
i thought tangs were pretty bold, or supposed to be. the first yellow tang i had was great. best fish i have ever had, sw or fw.

caz

I'm a Sinker!
Apr 7, 2003
update: after almost 24 hours in the QT he seems to be more brave, except when my girlfriend comes around (shes scary!!) hehe. he looks a little better. i havent seen him eat any of the bigger flakes, but i have seen him nipping at the bottom. i fed a bigger portion of seaweed, and attached it to the veggie clip. im gonna check in a few hours to see if there are bit marks out of it *crosses fingers*

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store