Need help with plant identification

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Misled_Youth

AC Members
Dec 12, 2011
Deerfield, IL
Hi there so my mom just came home with some plants from a breeder that lives in my neighborhood to my surprise. Now, she said she didn't know the name but apparently it's a floating plant, has broad, oak tree-like leaves, and the root system has no bulb and is skeleton-like and i just wanted to identify to make sure i've got the right conditions and such. much appreciated

Somervell

AC Members
Feb 8, 2009
PA
Real Name
Anne
Could it be oak-leaf water wisteria (hygro difformis)? I am just guessing from the description, mind you. That would be a rooted stem plant; although I have seen people growing it in tanks without it being grounded. That's the only aquatic plant that I can think of that would have "oak leaf" like leaves.

Misled_Youth

AC Members
Dec 12, 2011
Deerfield, IL
Why thank you :D what would you suggest would be the better way to keep it? Rooted or left floating?

Somervell

AC Members
Feb 8, 2009
PA
Real Name
Anne
I have grown it both ways-- in substrate and anchored floating with weights. It is pretty hearty and will grow quickly, if that is, indeed what it is. Mine tends to end up as a 24/7 salad bar for my goldies, so it doesn't last too long. Pretty stuff, though.

Misled_Youth

AC Members
Dec 12, 2011
Deerfield, IL
haha very good to hear. do you have any plant-trimming tips? just because i've never had plants before i wanna learn all i can

Somervell

AC Members
Feb 8, 2009
PA
Real Name
Anne
I do not have any good advice. Although I keep planted tanks, mine are far from showpieces. I use ferts once per month, but have only about 2 WPG, so I have only low-light, easy to care for, goldfish-proof plants in the tanks. That pretty much leaves me with several large clumps of java fern, a couple of really tough anubius and a number of broad leafed crypts. Even my swords have become fish food on occasion.

I feel certain, though, that if you poke around the posts long enough, you will find some really expert advice from the planted tank peeps around here. Some of our members have really show stopping tanks.

Misled_Youth

AC Members
Dec 12, 2011
Deerfield, IL
well once again thank you so much for the help and i'll keep poking around as usual and learn a few things

Somervell

AC Members
Feb 8, 2009
PA
Real Name
Anne
Sorry. I inadvertently identified oak leaf water sprite as hygro difformis. That is incorrect. Oak leaf water sprite= indian fern- not a hygro at all. Still, from your description, I think oak leaf water sprite is what you are describing.

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
Indian fern would be my guess too. I usually let most of it grow floating and it reproduces rapidly. Started off with 5 largish plants a few months ago and have sold about 50 sprouts from them so far. They reproduce by having new plants grow in the nodes of dying leaves. They need high light though and whenever I plant it in my lowlight tanks they die off fast. Floating they do great! I've gotten them to grow well planted in my 38, which has more light than any of my other tanks. They are really good fry cover for my livebearers. Losing them now though, duckweed has taken over that tank and I cant seem to get rid of it. Blocks all the light and surface area for the other plants :(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store