Need help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Robert04

Aspiring Self Proclaimed Expert
Dec 31, 2008
I got two clowns for my tank 2 days ago and now they are laying on their sides. I did a water change today and waited 8 hours.. here are some water test results.. I added mroe circulation to the surface.. I've done two water changes this week 2 daysbefore the clown and today.. My anemone corals dragonet snails hermits crab shrimp are all 100% the clowns are doing horrible.. not behaving like yesterday.. no interest in the housing just laying on there sides breathing fairly hard.. one got stuck to the powerhead even.. I moved him right away and he took off but shortly after he was laying in the sand again.. I tested my tap water... was ok.. I think my ro is fini... help?! btw hydro reads my salinity at 1.023 not refactometer so I would assume its abit higher than that like most cases.

Robert04

Dec 31, 2008
Aslo my yellow tail blue damsel died a few weeks ago but I connected it with my cyano outbreak that I got rid of withought issue.. everything seemed fine and stable..

ram303

AC Members
Nov 17, 2007
darwin australia
Did your blue damsil come from the same lfs as your clowns. if your water tests are all fine then the problem may not be in your tank. how do there fins look. where they in good shape when you put the clowns in your tank.
how long did the lfs have the clowns in there tanks.

Robert04

Dec 31, 2008
they had them for probably 3 weeks before I picked them up.. they had just been put in there display tank a few days before I'm guessing. There fins actualy looked very ragged last night.. one was swimming again.. i think both are passed.. the blue damsel did come from the same store months before.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
It's hard to say at this point. It may help to try one other store just to rule out the possibility of the above. If your tests are accurate, then everything checks out fine. Do look into a refractometer and a TDS meter (to measure the purity of your RO/DI water).

ram303

AC Members
Nov 17, 2007
darwin australia
ok then if your fish have raggid fins then the best advice i can give you is to treat the water with a product called stress coat+ it is made by API.
Stress Coat+ is a tap water conditioner with the healing power of aloe vera. I use this stuff whenever i need and find it really works a treat.
As far as your blue devil damsil goes well thats just weird blue damsils are a very hardy fish.
raggid fins are usulley stress related, I would go to your lfs and get some of there water, maybe there water paramiters are differant to yours this could contribute to there stress.
as far as your ro water goes. Reverse osmosis is the finest filtration known to man.
the water is forced through the filter at high presure. I wouldnt think there is anything wrong with your water, if you are using a ro system.

mercury57106

AC Members
Mar 8, 2009
i had the same problem

after looking at my water testing results they were all fine i came i noticed the damsel was chasing my clowns at night after the lights went out till they were nearly dead then unfortunately they were sucked into the powerhead intake and filter intake from the sounds of it your clowns are just being chased to death but im a newbie as well

sorry didnt see your damsel had died but yes the clowns can act all so funny mine will swim along the bottom and tear up my sand my live rock is covered in sand cause the lil guys like to play in the sand they also like to act sick and swim very slowly at the top thats when they know they will get fed after that they are happy lil fishies

Last edited:

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
How were the clowns acclimated to your tank? Only recently, I myself found out how important it can be to check the SpG / salinity of the water the fish / inverts / corals are coming from in the bag and compare it to that of your tank. If it's pretty different, longer acclimation times are needed. Many fish stores keep their fish systems at 1.020 - 1.022, instead of 1.025 - 1.026.

To be more specific and give a rather extreme example, I recently adopted a clownfish and a couple of corals that are in very bad shape from someone that's tearing down a tank that he admittedly didn't have time to care for. I checked the SpG of the water in the bags from his tank... it was 1.040!!! Yes, that's a reading from a refractometer, which is calibrated and gets used where I work. It became very clear to me why he had problems, but more importantly at that point, it was apparent that my standard 1 hour drip acclimation was not going to be good enough. I drip acclimated the fish and corals for 3 hours, removing portions of water from the acclimation bucket every so often, allowing for a more gentle acclimation to the 1.025 water in my tank.

ToeJam

MMORPG ADDICT!!
Jan 9, 2009
Tacoma,WA
OK OK Am I seeing this wrong or did you guys miss the last test card?
PH at 5.4???

PH shock sounds like to me... PH shock usually has fish doing that ...stressful breathing like that... I didnt have this in salt but in freshwater back in the day.

I believe you need to buffer that asap.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store