Need Quick Help with a Magniflow ...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

eeyipes

AC Members
Jun 11, 2008
Washington IA
I picked up a Magniflow 160 on the cheap for a 20 gallon I'm setting up. This is the first Marineland canister I've ever had. The o-ring gasket came in baggie and not pre-attached to the canister and nowhere in the instructions for setting up does it even mention it. Is is supposed to wrap around the top lip of the canister, or is it supposed to go on the motorhead? Can someone who has this filter clue me in?

Thanks!

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
I don't own this filter and as you stated, the directions I found online don't mention having to install one.

Check the underside of the filter head and see if there is a gasket installed in the groove.

The only mention I saw was extra o-rings for the disconnect valves.

If you can post a pic of the gasket and the underside of the pump head, I could advise further.

eeyipes

AC Members
Jun 11, 2008
Washington IA
Thanks for the reply ... I was just browsing unboxing videos for this filter and none mentioned installing the o-ring except one by Big Al's. That video didn't show the installation but at least mentioned that it was supposed to be installed on the motorhead so that's what I'll do. Seems really weird to me that it wouldn't already be installed.

Think I need to grease it? I'm assuming not ...

I have an Eheim Ecco on my bigger tank, I'm already wishing I had just bought another, ugh.

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
I would apply a thin film of lube prior to installing the gasket, any that you normally use for your filters. Just apply some to your fingers and slide the gasket through your fingers to get a thin film. Even some water will work, just be sure to install the gasket evenly so it sits flat and looks correct.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Glad you found where it goes. It would have leaked like crazy without that O-ring in place.

Don't wanna jinx it, but I've had great service out of my Marineland C-306 canister.

I use silicone plumber's grease on my canister O-rings any time I open them up (every 3-4 months or so).

eeyipes

AC Members
Jun 11, 2008
Washington IA
Don't wanna jinx it, but I've had great service out of my Marineland C-306 canister.
Glad to hear it - I've had the Ecco running for about 7 years now, and never had a single problem with it.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
5yrs now with my C-360. Haven't had to replace anything. :eek:o_O

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store