Need some advice

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rafini

AC Members
Jun 24, 2012
Finnex is 6500k - 7000k
I just checked the stats on the site. The non plant one is 7000k whereas the plant + is slightly lower because a number of the 7000k LED were replaced with
660nm red LED which help the plants grow. so I am within this K range? this is the bulb that my plants will be exposed to most.

Steven 1

AC Members
Feb 27, 2014
MA
I just wanted to mention that ferts, probably dry that you mix with water, help keep algae away and help the plants grow. So I recommend that when you get more plants, or now, if you have faster growing plants (forgot which ones you have) you dose ferts.

Rafini

AC Members
Jun 24, 2012
are there any relatively inexpensive ferts and what are they called?
when I get more plants I will definately do that, I`m just easing myself into it right now

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
are there any relatively inexpensive ferts and what are they called?
when I get more plants I will definately do that, I`m just easing myself into it right now
Go slow, but IMO--start ferts after you get CO2. If not, go even slower.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Since you want to keep it low tech, I agree, don't over do it on ferts.

While dry ferts are certainly the cheapest option, it can get a bit more complicated when it comes to dosing. There are dosing strategies out there with more precise recommendations (i.e. EI, PMDD, etc.), but the reality is that they aren't guaranteed to be 100% absolute methods for any and every tank...a lot of people end up tweaking things to suit their needs.

A more simple (but more expensive, especially on a larger tank) approach that has worked relatively well for me in the past on low tech tanks is using the Flourish line, which are some of the commercially available liquid ferts. I started out simply dosing Excel (C source) and Flourish Comprehensive (mostly micronutrients, but has some NPK as well) before deciding to target dose everything separately. Then I ventured into dry fert dosing and am using a sort of modified EI dosing schedule for my slower growth tank...although at times I've sort of been winging it...

Not suggesting that you should necessarily goes this same route, especially considering that you have more volume to work with...but in the end, there's no one way to go about fertilization...it's a confusing (and frustrating) component of the planted aquarium world. You'll find almost as many opinions on this subject as there are tanks, because none are alike. For that reason alone I suggest starting slowly and doing a bit of experimenting on your own to see what works.

Rafini

AC Members
Jun 24, 2012
Thanks so much for the insight, I have seen the flourish ferts available actually. and Now that I have found this subforum I could ask any questions I have relating to aquatic plants.
i would love to get some vallis for my tank, is that also a low light plant:

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg
I've had really good luck growing Vallisneria in lower light.
As have I. However I've also had terrible luck growing them after I moved. I may be mistaken but I don't think they love really soft or acidic water. Those were the only factors that changed when I moved so I attribute it to that. I'm currently giving them another try though.

Sent from my VS980 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store