Need some suggestions on stocking a tank before adding the Angel

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

GCL

AC Members
Jun 30, 2006
Western Ct.
I need some suggestions for stocking this tank before I add the Angel I have that is currently in a 10 gallon tank and is ready to be moved.

I belive it to be a standard fin after viewing pictures. I have had it since Aug. 1, '09, at which time it was about the size of "a little bigger than a quarter". But it's grown considerably and needs the space.

It is a 29 gallon tank, 30"L x 12"D x 18"H. Set up Oct. 30, '09. With a little over an inch of pool filter sand.
I do plan to add live plants to this tank this week.

Current residents are 10 Sterbai Corydoras, some Malaysian Trumpet snails, and a few ramshorn snails.

Should I keep the current stock of the 10 Cories and snails and add the angel?

Or, I have the option to add any of the following from established tanks;
5 Rummy nose tetras
1 Calico BNPleco that has been in with the Angel for quite a while now.

Or, Should I move 5 of the Sterbai cories over to another tank, and add the Rummy nose.
I am wondering if the Rummy nose will be too active for the Angel. They do swim constantly in the tank they are in now.

All suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
I'd keep the cories and add the angel.

Rummynoses aren't too active for the angel. They don't mind activity.

I don't see a problem with adding the angel, rummynoses, and BN pleco to the 29 with the cories and snails.

That's about all you can add, but I don't think anyone would say you're overstocked with that.

CrimsonBlush

Attemping to post rather than lurk
Jun 15, 2008
Twin Cities
crimsonblush.deviantart.com
Real Name
Miah
I'd keep the cories and add the angel.

Rummynoses aren't too active for the angel. They don't mind activity.

I don't see a problem with adding the angel, rummynoses, and BN pleco to the 29 with the cories and snails.

That's about all you can add, but I don't think anyone would say you're overstocked with that.
I would skip the BN at least. Big poop machine!

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
BN's are fine in a 29.

of course not all BN's are the same.

we tend to group the BN(Ancistrus) into one category but one peruse of planet catfish will change your mind. ;)

but in general they will be fine in a 29

Trigger1985

AC Members
Jul 31, 2009
Arlington Heights, IL (near Chicago)
Angels like having schooling fish around- sometimes called dither fish. In the wild they use these other fish as a warning- other fish panic and swim off- so do they. Schooling fish like tetras however, will just hang out- they are safe in their numbers- so the angel will hang out. Worked wonders with my skitish angel before I rehomed him.

CrimsonBlush

Attemping to post rather than lurk
Jun 15, 2008
Twin Cities
crimsonblush.deviantart.com
Real Name
Miah
A BN a poop machine? Hardly, well at least in comparison to larger plecos.
BN's are fine in a 29.

of course not all BN's are the same.

we tend to group the BN(Ancistrus) into one category but one peruse of planet catfish will change your mind. ;)

but in general they will be fine in a 29
Keeping a BN pleco is fine for a 29, but I think an Angel, 10 sterbai cories, 5 Rummies, and a BN pleco plus snails is a bit much for a 29...

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Keeping a BN pleco is fine for a 29, but I think an Angel, 10 sterbai cories, 5 Rummies, and a BN pleco plus snails is a bit much for a 29...
Completely disagree, but my comments are based on my experience. I have 9 cories and a rubberlip pleco in my 29 and the tank looks bare. 1 angel and 5 rummies wouldn't be too much to add.

Michwol42795

CanTANKerous
Dec 28, 2009
Chattanooga, TN
Well I suppose if you watch the water quality it wouldn't be too big of a deal, it still kind of scares me a little bit though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store