Need suggestions on a external pump

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Pinkey

AC Members
Nov 16, 2004
Denver
Real Name
Nate
I agree with Loach Guy. It is difficult to calculate exact water flow until the system is in place. Each 90 degree elbow reduces flow as does each inch of lift. I have often run systems with additional smaller filters to provide the total filtration I desire.

If you are certain you need an external pump and found one you think will work, go for it. You have a long time ahead of you to find the right balance between plants and fish. Regular testing will tell you if you have balance at any particular moment.

I find we tend to get caught up in formulas and suggested ratios for everything. Step back and think about it from a function point of view for a moment. (If I am way off in any of these suggestions I trust this community to point it out quickly and frankly. :)

Sumps hold the reservoir of water to make sure your pumps always work. The extra water helps dilute pollutants and helps stabilize the whole system. Your 180 + 55 is great for any sensible bio load.

Trickle filters/bio filters host microorganisms that love to eat the most major contributors to natural fish pollution. (Look up nitrogen cycle if you are not familiar with it.) For these bacteria to live they just need enough water to stay aerobic. This could be as little as a few gallons per hour to keep the colony happy.

In my experience mechanical filters do the most for the human values on aesthetics. Mechanical filters keep the water clear and pretty. In nature, even the cleanest water has junk floating in it. There are some great videos of filmmakers in the amazon finding fish in their natural habitats and those habitats are dirty looking even if the water is as perfect as nature intended. If my water starts looking dirty I increase the gph on my mechanical filter.

In short, as long as your water is oxygenated (fish appear to be breathing normally and not gasping), your bio filter is constantly flowing, and your water is clear, you will be just fine.

The reason I asked about fish before is that if you are housing 10 angels they will create the same pollution if they are in a 20 gallon tank or your 235 gallon system. The same filter would work in either case. It is not the tank or the gallons that create pollution but the amount of fish.

Another thing that will muddle your calculations is the gravel or sand you use in your tank. I am making a rough guess that your tank is about 6x2. You have 12 square feet of sand or gravel where other little bugs can live. That whole area becomes a happy playground for nitrate-eating bacteria. Doing this requires another natural assistant, though. Snails will turn the top 1/2" of your sand and turn the whole thing into a filter. While it is difficult to calculate the effectiveness of this filter it does offset the strain on the other filters.

No matter what your fish will be great unless you add 200 goldfish.

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
Nate is right... GPH is not the only factor here. 200 goldfish would be though... LOL!

Bio-activity is happening everywhere around the tank, not just inside the filter. Having a healthy substrate is just as important as how much water flows through your filter if not more so. MTS and other burrowing snails are extremely helpful in keeping the substrate aerated as are plant roots. Plants photosynthesize and provide oxygen for fish and snails and use up nutrients before algae can get a hold of it and take over the tank. There is a symbiotic relationship between MTS, plants, and the substrate that has nothing to do with your filter at all. Don't be discouraged by a slight decrease in actual performance of a pump. You can make up for it in other ways if that is necessary at all.

msebar

AC Members
Oct 9, 2013
South Florida
Real Name
Michael
I agree but for clarity you would need to kick it up a bit more. I would rather not have to add an extra external filter. Having a pump with a little bit more output will give me the ability to add a run off back into the sump which I can filter through an a smaller micron sock. I think I will go with the pump I mentioned above unless somebody heard something bad about it. I can always strat the flow low and crank it up if needed. This will give me more flexibility.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store