Neolamprologus multifasciatus

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JJ83

AC Members
Feb 11, 2008
Vancouver, Wa
Adorable fish in his shell. Those little fish will move all that sand in one night? Wow.
You would be surprised. It makes me tired just watching them. For such little fish they can sure pack a lot of sand in their mouths :) When there is no more sand in the middle, I move the sand back to what I think looks nice, but they disagree and and start picking up mouthfuls, circling the tank looking for the best place to put it. Very entertaining!

emptywallet

another youngling who is clueless
Apr 19, 2008
Ohio
Real Name
David
what requiments do these small fish need and how big of a tank they look so fun to have but i would wanna know how big of a tank to keep these sweet fish in

JJ83

AC Members
Feb 11, 2008
Vancouver, Wa
They require very little. I have three in a 10 gallon and they do great. I have heard of people successfully keeping them in smaller. I would still recommend a 20 long though, the more room the better as always. They supposedly breed like rabbits, though I haven't had the pleasure of that happening yet. They live in colonies and do well together so you don't have to worry too much about aggression.

As for other requirements, obviously a cycled tank showing no ammonia or nitrites with some nitrates and LOTS OF SHELLS. I am working on getting a bunch of escargot shells to pile up in there. Don't bother decorating the tank with plants or driftwood as they will quickly bury it.

Some will say not to bother using any substrate, but definitely give them plenty of sand. It's so much fun watching them move it even if it does make a bit of a mess :)

AfroCichlid

AC Members
Jan 10, 2008
Fort Myers, FL
Do the males steal each other's shells yet? I loved watching my buddy's multis dart from one side of the tank to the other with a hijacked shell for their own condo. Nice setup you have provided.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store