Neon tetra 'swelling' after eating. Normal?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

chazzbo77

AC Members
Oct 11, 2009
How's it going everyone? A couple (not all) of my neons get a VERY large belly after eating. I've deduced it to being caused by the amount of food they eat because the next day they don't get the belly until I feed them again. Is it something I should be worried about and work to fix, or should I just ignore it?

Thanks.

froglover007

Obsessed 13-year-old
Apr 15, 2009
Alberta
Neon tetras should not be bloated after feeding. Cut back on the amount you feed on each meal. Although it wont kill them it is not really good for them.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Dry food like flakes and pellets swells up as it absorbs moisture in the fishes' stomachs. That's where the old wives tale about fish eating themselves to death comes from.

13enzene

AC Members
Oct 16, 2008
If they are eating from the top could it not also be that they may be swallowing air.

chazzbo77

AC Members
Oct 11, 2009
Just a quick follow up question of another topic. I've been creating so many new threads lately I don't want to annoy the mods.

I'm going to be getting a young angelfish to put in my 45g tank. Is it OK that I only get one? Getting two would be too much with the projected inhabitants of this tank. Thanks.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I don't think the mods would be annoyed at all!

I think one would be fine alone. What's your planned stock again? Are you still going to get rams?

One thing I still worry about is the angel/neon combo. Don't be surprised if the neons end up as snacks (expensive ones) when the angel is older.

chazzbo77

AC Members
Oct 11, 2009
Yeah that's what I'm worried about. The neons being eaten. But I was recommended to get an angel in this forum so I figured it'd be accurate information (getting him young and since he grows up with them would leave them alone). Planned stocking is what I have now (3 guppies, 6 neons, 8 harlequin rasbora) and six corydoras. There's one spot left, which will either go to an angelfish, or a pair of german blue rams. If it's not too much trouble, I'd like the pro's and con's of getting each, and what you, yourself, as the experienced hobbyists that you are, would get.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I personally think getting rams would be a better idea. Only drawback is it is hard to find good stock. I don't trust most LFS's with blue rams because most are imported from Asia and don't last long. If you could find a local breeder, I would for sure get a pair.

chazzbo77

AC Members
Oct 11, 2009
Well last night I did a bit of research and called a few of my LFS. Every one I called but one said they didn't carry them for the reason cited above (Asian ones dying), except for one store, which is selling them for $15 each which seems like a bit much. Besides, the girl said, "We just got a new shipment in earlier today," which sounds to me like they've been imported, not bred locally.

Is there any chance at all if I got a very small angel he'd leave the tetra's alone when he got older? He'd be the last fish I add, so he'd be the new kid in town, so wouldn't that help? You guys are the experts though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store