Neon Tetras - another day...another way to die...WTH

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Neons are... Well... Tricky. Keeping them healthy is a trick. For me they only last about 6month to a year. That's with regular water changes as well. With my cousin who I have my neons too. They are still alive and thriving. That's with one water change a year sadly. The odds are getting worse of having a good batch as most come from big box stores or irresponsible breeders out in Asia somewhere. Your best bet would to go with nice big tank and ALOT of plants.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
The last time I bought neons I found a great deal, 65c each, and picked up a couple dozen of them. They all looked great and were a joy to watch schooling around the tank.
I seemed to lose just one about one every 5 or 6 days until after a few months every single one had died even though none ever showed signs of disease and all other fish were fine.
I now buy only Cardinals. They live for years and are prettier to boot.

JackLantern

AC Members
Dec 16, 2012
i went from 13 to 1 the same way, just faster. i read a lot on forums how the die, are overbred, etc. what i'm curious about is how they get them to market alive then?

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
darkredtigr.deviantart.com
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 12 Pro Max
I have 12 Neons in my 20g and only lost one of them and the rest are fine and thriving in a temp of 76-78. I had Black Neons for 5-6 years that were unkillable. It depends on where they come from and how well they were cared for. I work in a pet store and the neons that come in live while other tetras die off even if they are healthy. Got in Cardinals and all of them died off within 2 days.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Water problems and bad stock. This stuff will happen. I would keep up with checking your water.

JackLantern

AC Members
Dec 16, 2012
i keep checking water, levels seem fine.

but lost some danios. similar symptom is the swelling in stomach. before dying.

a serpea tetra i bought at same time as the danio is showing the same swelling and swimming with head down.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Bad stock..very likely...but something is missing in this tale it seems...

JackLantern

AC Members
Dec 16, 2012
one thing i know, they put bags of salt in their tank weekly or so, it was like a 5"x7" salt pouch in all the tanks. i asked what it was for, staff said they do it weekly and more in the brackish tanks

is this a normal "resting" angle for this fish?

serpea 2.jpgserpea 1.jpg

serpea 2.jpg serpea 1.jpg

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
there is a difference in brackish tanks and FW..salt for ich is not salt for brackish...just saying...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store