Neon Tetras, constipated or parasite infection?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jeff Wong

AC Members
Jun 10, 2016
Hello everyone, I joined this forum for some help. I have recently bought some neon tetras (about 5 days ago) and today I found out that some of them are... "rounder" if you will, than others. I do not know if they are just well fed (fed them today) or sick. I have also noticed two or three having a "lump" or ball under their bellies (some are round, others have a lump). Here are some photos for a better understanding. Any opinion is greatly appreciated.

Additional info: ph 6, nitrite 0.5 or less, nitrate 10 or less, GH 8, KH 6. I am using Tropical 6 in 1 test so sorry for such approximate information.
Last photo is for the "lump".
IMAG0573.jpg IMAG0572.jpg IMAG0570.jpg IMAG0569.jpg

Samehada

AC Members
Jun 10, 2016
I personally don't see an issue but it can be hard to tell from pics. Are they having problems with buoyancy such as flipping, constant head down or head up position or being dragged to the surface or bottom? Are they eating but spitting out the food? Have you seen any of them poop?

Constipation and infection often times effect the swim bladder so if they don't show the signs above and your water parameters are on point more then likely they're fine IMHO. They could just be as you said well fed and some could be females coming into condition.

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
I completely agree with the above. If all of that is fine, you might want to cut back on your feeding a little bit though

Jeff Wong

AC Members
Jun 10, 2016
I have not seen any flipping, head down nor dragging in any direction. They do spend a lot of time at the mid height of the tank but I heard it is normal. They do spit when they take like 4 nano pellets but that is probably normal. I haven't seen them poo tho.

That is true haha, they move so much it is hard to get a proper picture. I hope it is like you said, that they are actually well fed. I will feed them each three days from now on. Thank you for your replies, makes me feel more at ease.

Samehada

AC Members
Jun 10, 2016
No problem, I'm glad we could help. Good luck with them and by all means let us know how things turn out.

Jeff Wong

AC Members
Jun 10, 2016
Hello guys and girls. Here is the update for my neons!! Yeahh \o/
So they all dead :x
Jk they are all fine. I gave them some green pea some days ago and they seem to like it.

Only prob now is that I made the mistake of doing a 60% water change and stressed my fish. Now 2 of them got some white fluffy stuff on their mouth. But I am treating them right now so hopefully they do fine. They are still pretty energetic so Im not too concerned.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store