Nerites Escaping?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lachette

AC Members
Mar 27, 2008
TX
Is it normal for nerites to crawl out of the aquarium and into your house?

I got some nerites the other day, 2 zebra and 2 green tiger ones.
one zebra happily eats, the other just kinda hangs there...
the 2 green tiger ones disapeared the first day, and this was last friday. last night (sunday) i saw a tiger one attached to the return line from my co2 reactor still in the tank, but above the water.

this morning i found him on the floor behind the tank stand.

i still dont know where that other one went to... i might have to do an earlier than scheduled wc to find them all.

anyways, is it normal for nerites to climb out of the tank like that?
i have a glass top, but the back 2 inches are open for hoeses and filters.

snoopy65

I am Sam aka Snoopy65
Aug 24, 2008
Where the ducks walk on the fish, PA
Yes nerites will leave the water. It is best to close up the top as much as you can and/or leave the water level a bit lower so they can leave the water inside of the tank.

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
The one I had about a year and a half ago pretty much refused to stay in the water.. I'd find it all over my room, and when I dropped it back in, it starts climbing up again. Never really understood it.

None of my other Nerite species have ever bother leaving the tank.

Wycco

Eat more pine trees
Apr 19, 2009
34^N 81^W
Real Name
Kim Jong Il
It is advisable to surround your aquarium with curly barbed wire- train an alsation (german shep) and have someone march back and forth with a flashlight in front of the tank at all times looking for escapees.

NEVER show "The Great Escape" on a television in the same room as your Nerites- and make sure there are no Snail-sized motorcycles left in the proximity of your aquarium.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
They can survive a pretty long time out of water, i would say at the very least several days though finding them sooner is obviously better.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store