Never feed your dwarf puffers again.... My Dwarf Puffer technique.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cohazard

AC Members
Apr 6, 2004
Visit site
Which poses the question, how do they keep their beaks (teeth) from getting too long?
If you're worried about the teeth, you should try small ghost shrimp and also add other types of snails such as the common pond and ramshorn snails.

Live brine might help too, dp's love em.

lovesfish

I love Spongebob!
Feb 12, 2007
Mississippi
www.myspace.com
;) Sounds like a very smart setup. I have 5 DPs in a 29 gal. community tank. I may try the mts, aren't they the little cone/trumpet shaped snails that the pet stores get rid of for free? However, Thanks to a kind generous member of Aquaria Central, I am setting up a tank to raise the pond snails for my fig 8., Bashful, he won't eat the trumpet kind. I should have enough for all of them, (hopefully). I've tried getting them from the lfs but they don't have many, as they get rid of them quickly. I could raise the trumpets with the pond snails and feed all my puffers what they like (ideally).

chaibill

AC Members
Apr 28, 2006
Long Island NY USA
what if you put one DP in a ten gallon with the common pond snails would it be able to eat all of them before they reproduced?

lovesfish

I love Spongebob!
Feb 12, 2007
Mississippi
www.myspace.com
Quote "If you're worried about the teeth, you should try small ghost shrimp and also add other types of snails such as the common pond and ramshorn snails."Quote

Cool, thanks for the info.

lovesfish

I love Spongebob!
Feb 12, 2007
Mississippi
www.myspace.com
Dwarf Puffers tend to not develop overgrown beaks, and by providing at least a few snails on a regular basis they will get enough of a workout grinding a bit as they "hunt and play" with the snails.
I din't know this, thanks for your help.

cohazard

AC Members
Apr 6, 2004
Visit site
what if you put one DP in a ten gallon with the common pond snails would it be able to eat all of them before they reproduced?
Depends... it is possible if you haven't take care of certain variables:

1) you need the tank to be infested with snails. this means keeping the tank with little to nothing else... and feeding lots of shrimp pellets, flake, etc... for the snails to eat. As mentioned earlier in the thread, give them a few months to build their population first. It should get to a point where the puffers will get full, and then slowly pick off snails, yet the snails reproduce fast enough to replace what get's eaten.

2) A densely planted aquarium is best, to allow hiding spots for snails and their eggs. It doesn't have to be live plants, fake plants, caves really help too.

lovesfish said:
Cool, thanks for the info.
you're welcome ;)

Olympiadunn

Registered Member
Mar 20, 2014
I was wondering if you still stand by this feeding method for your dwarf puffers? Do you still have the tank? I have some dwarf puffers now and am trying to find the best way to feed them. I have about a million trumpet snails, but find they eat the pond snails I started faster than they can reproduce.

kumar420

AC Members
Feb 5, 2014
Awesome thread, brilliant idea! I've been wondering what to put in my 7G but reading this I may go with a dwarf puffer or two. Only problem is I really don't want to breed MTS in my community tank, once the **** things are in there its hell getting rid of them. Is it possible to breed MTS in a 1 gallon bowl or something?

Pjspoohbr

Registered Member
Jan 23, 2016
Hi I just got my DPs 4 days ago. I have. Gotten some nuisance snails from my local pet store and they eat them. Just trying to get enough to start a snail tank may be a problem lol. They don't seem interested in frozen krill or brand Shrimp. And the krill floats on top ajd I've never seen them go to the top to eat.

How many snails should I give them a day. They are just regular snails not mts. Can't find any other live food around me here. In northern indiana. Should I order black worms from the internet?

Any helo. Would be appreciated

peroz

Registered Member
May 13, 2016
I'm thinking of getting some (6) dwarf puffers for my 54L tank. And then I found this thread and want to give it a try. But since it's been some years since last report, I would like to know if the method is still going strong? Is it actually viable? If it is, I'm getting some MTS today and then wait until they infestate the tank before getting the puffers.
Hope someone answers, I signed up just for this question. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store