New 20 Gallon Cherry Shrimp Setup: Advice Greatly Appreciated

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FrenchFry

AC Members
Feb 7, 2011
Hello,

I have just received a 20 gallon tank as a gift, and I would like to transform it into a cherry shrimp only tank.

I have no additional parts for the tank, and I was hoping for some recommendations. The tank will be set up in San Francisco, where the tap water is pH 8.4 and has high levels of chloramine.

I am planning on cycling the tank fully before stocking it, of course. I have some "special blend" that I could use to speed up cycling, if recommended.

So, what would you recommend in terms of:
-substrate (I would like a relatively heavily planted tank but without CO2)
- light (specific brands/bulbs)
- filter (apart from just "sponge", specific recommendations would be appreciated)
- air pump
- heater (particular brand with thermostat)
- plants (for a low tech setup)

I have a digital thermometer, catappa leaves, seachem prime, seachem neutral regulator, and seachem discus buffer on hand if recommended.

I greatly sppreciate your help.
Thanks!

FrenchFry

AC Members
Feb 7, 2011
If there is anything else that I am missing, please let me know.

I have used eco-complete before, but I am interested in other planted tank substrates as well.

Thanks!

cpetrosky

AC Members
Jan 22, 2011
Mooresville NC
Real Name
Chris Petrosky
as far as a filter goes i use an aqueon 30 with a fluval edge sponge prefilter on the intake. its a perfect fit and it will let you still use carbon in your filter. my shrimp love grassing on whatever is on the sponge.

sCeRaXn

AC Members
May 29, 2009
I dont know much about shrimp so i cant help you there, but i can recommend some plants. Id go with your typical low light plants like Java fern, anubias, and crypts since theyre easy to grow in low tech setups. I dont know if this is always the case, but the shrimp in my buddies tank are always picking through his moss, so id probably add some java moss or any kind of lower light moss really.

FrenchFry

AC Members
Feb 7, 2011
Thanks for the replies so far.

Do you have particualr recommendations for types of driftwood and rocks?

sCeRaXn

AC Members
May 29, 2009
Thats really up to your personal taste or the look that youre going for. Personally, ive found that Manzanita is the best wood for smaller tanks because the smaller branches give you more options for hardscapes. Theres usually a few people selling it in the classifieds either here, on plantetank, or at aquabid. Its cheap and you can have your pick from tons of different sizes and shapes. One piece of advice is to get more than you think youd need. You can never have enough wood lol

Bartmann

AC Members
Oct 24, 2010
be careful with rocks they are not all inert. Take a look at OA ask Justin, they had that really skinny wood more like twigs, makes for a good scape. If you want to keep things simple use a Aqua clear 30 and cover the intake with something, I have 7 shrimp takes set up more or less this way and all doing fine. I use AS from AF not cheap put it work maybe a inch to the front 1.5-2 in the back. I guess you are not using CO2. Thats OK. Once the shrimp are in the tank do not use other chems such as excel or ferts, I do not regularly use anything. Do not use NR or NB it will leach out chems from the AS. I use PH down and prime, all that you need. When you set the tank up it will be like 6.8-7 with that soil and if you do small water changes once a week should all work out for you. I would also not feed much until shrimp pop grows. Remember a lot of plants. GL with the tank...

FrenchFry

AC Members
Feb 7, 2011
Sorry for the delayed response, I was out yesterday. Thank you so much to everyone for the helpful replies!

Would a canister filter be overkill in a 20 gallon?

1oooop

int x; if {x>1} {std::cout
Jun 5, 2008
here, there, everywhere
game.uctrl.net
Real Name
Brandon
naw, a canister filter wouldn't be overkill for a 20g. just make sure you turn down the flow.

pbmax

AC Members
Aug 18, 2009
Olympia, WA
I run a Rena XP1 canister filter + a 150w Rena Smart Heater on my 20g that has mostly yellow shrimp and mystery snails along with some smaller fish; I use a spray bar output tilted up slightly for better oxygenation with the flow turned down to half or less.

I'm a big fan of Rena Smart Heaters - they're ideal for canisters since they can replace the intake plumbing, if desired, for better heat distribution and less junk in the tank. Plus, they're very stable and pretty much temp shock-proof which is handy for large volume water changes. I use them in 6 of my 7 tanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store