New 30gal setup

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Tikidude

AC Members
Jun 12, 2007
SC, USA
Thanks Grins. I'll check it out. I haven't looked on RASOC today.

Tikidude

AC Members
Jun 12, 2007
SC, USA
I have an odd question. I just remembered that I have a great seafan skeleton that I somehow managed to bring back from Belize unbroken. Could that be put in my tank? I found it washed up on the beach and the rock it is attached to is bleached out and the fan itself is a dark grey. I can't imagine anything is living on it since it has been sitting on a shelf for over 4 years. PRobably just needs a good dusting. LOL

mikie61

AC Members
Jan 26, 2007
Southern Illinois
Great beginning!

You can dust off the powder on your live rock with a turkey baster and a aquaglass cover for your tank will keep anything from jumping out and wil let your lights shine through.
Keep up the good work. :welcome:

Tikidude

AC Members
Jun 12, 2007
SC, USA
I do use the turkey baster to dust off the rock. It makes my featherduster go crazy when all the is floating in the water. :)

My concern with the glass cover is trapping heat. I think I"m going to go with the egg crate to protect my fishies from jumping when I get them. Right now I don't have anything that jumps so I'm safe.

Tikidude

AC Members
Jun 12, 2007
SC, USA
WOOHOO!!! Today I got a Koralia for my tank. WOW. What a difference. I also got two small inhabitants. Both were quarantined for 3 weeks before put in sale tanks and both were eating when I was looking at them so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'll have pics tomorrow. Didn't get pics tonight as they were in the dark and I didn't want to turn on the light to get pics.

I know I'm a bad boy for not quarantining them, and I might learn the hard way. The first newbie is a small maroon clown. I know they get a bit larger than some of the other clowns, but I also read that they are more resistant to disease and ich. THe second newbie is a Dragon Goby and he went right to work on the sand in my tank. He has quite the personality. He will sneak up on the featherduster and then turn so his tail just touches the duster. This, of course, make the duster retreat into his home. Then the Goby cleans the sand around the duster and sneaks away. Very amusing to watch.

I also purchased a used Coralife Super Skimmer (65 gal). It has only been used for 3 months before the lady decided she wanted a larger tank and skimmer. I thought it was a great deal for only $70 and I plan on hooking it up tomorrow.

It was a good day.

Tikidude

AC Members
Jun 12, 2007
SC, USA
I purchased a Koralia #2 and I'm using it with my two larger powerheads. I have lots of movement in my tank now and the clown is loving it. He acts like he is having a ball playing in the flows. The goby is moving sand all over the tank.

Grins, I bought the Koralia at a store in Belmont. I can't remember the name right now, but it was near the Abbey. I think I bought the last #2 they had, but they had a couple 3s and at least one #4. He is only open Wed-Sat.

I still haven't gotten the skimmer to work. I think I might be missing a part and I have emailed the guy to see if he can help me. So no good news on that yet.

Here is a video my partner made of the tank. Enjoy. You'll notice that most of the hair algae is gone and there is minimal regrowth. My latest Nitrate test came back at 10. WOOHOO!!
http://media.putfile.com/saltwater2

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
The clown and feather are LOVING that flow. I'm not sure which store you mean but I know where the Abbey is, I'll have to check it out. Were they reasonably priced? Ed said they've been on order forever and not come in so I'm too impatient to wait even for a discount.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store