New 40B and a return to the hobby. Yay!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

laurenrocksth

AC Members
Jun 24, 2008
Milford, NH
Hi Everyone!!!

I left the hobby after I bought a house built in the 1920s. I didn't trust the super old floors to support my 125.

I just took advantage of the $/gallon sale at petco and bought a 40B, a size that I've always loved, but never owned. I plan on planting it, but thus far, only have the tank and glass top.

It's been so long that I feel clueless in terms of light, filter etc. I don't plan on having CO2, so probably low light is better. I'd also rather have a canister filter. Any thoughts on either of these as well as plants that would work with this setup?

In terms of stocking, I was thinking of a school of med sized tetras, and angel or pearl gourami, cories, bristlenose plecs, and maybe a ram????

So excited to start again!!!!

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
I love the footprint of the 40B which is why i have one ( two if you count my brothers which i take care of) i dont have any experience with canisters. As for light you could get a twin tube T5 light fixture. Im sure a quick google search can help you get a hold on some nice canisters amd light fixtures. As far as stocking goes i think what you have mentioned would work fine. Id love to see the finished product :)

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
I like fluval canisters, get the biggest you can afford. I also like LED lights because they shimmer, have moon light mode, use less energy, and don't get hot.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
I like my 40B as it's very versatile. I personally don't care for canisters as they are a lot of work to clean. I agree they do a superior job at filtering. They just aren't for me.

laurenrocksth

AC Members
Jun 24, 2008
Milford, NH
Just lugged the tank in and managed not to break it. It'll be a little bit til I can get all of the accessories, lights, filters, etc. I'll need to put some plywood under the base of it. The footprint of the tank is lightly larger than the top of the bureau it'll be sitting on.
It's nice to be able to look at it and plan for the future though. :)

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1373904960.489268.jpg

laurenrocksth

AC Members
Jun 24, 2008
Milford, NH
Also, the glass top that I bought is about 2mm too wide. Weird. I'm hope that I ca bring it to a glass place an they'll be able to grind it down.

Please don't mind my messy coffee table :)

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I don't know how well that bureau is going to be able to handle a consistent 450-500 pound or so sitting on top of it. Most furniture really isn't designed for that. We have a buffet table, and all that was on it was a 37 inch TV, that maybe weighed in at like 200 pounds, and there's a definite bow to the buffet table now that the TV is gone.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store