New 75g - Merry Christmas to ME! *Open to advice on new tank!*

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

anniejensen

AC Members
Feb 23, 2009
I'm picking up a new standard 75 gal tank to replace my oldy-moldy 55 gal in a couple of days. I will stick with the general "theme" of my original tank, but hopefully I will do a couple of upgrades and possibly do things a little better this time around. I enjoy the look and challenge of fancy goldfish and live plants. I have just 2 fish at the moment, a large black moor and a half-grown orange lionhead. I had been running a DIY CFL light fixture, until I went to change the bulbs and my wires and the fixture itself were melting under the heat of the bulbs. I want to upgrade lighting, and I really want moonlights. Has anyone had experience with this light?
http://www.aquatraders.com/48-inch-3x54W-T5-Aquarium-Light-Digi-Timer-Fixture-p/52315.htm
I like the legs on the fixture as well... I would like the top of my tank to be as open as possible. Would this be a reasonable amount of lighting for a 75gal?

I currently have pool sand as substrate and, honestly, I totally hate it. You can see EVERY little bit of poo and whatnot, and I'm just a little sick of it. I was thinking I would go with some good ol' natural colored aquarium gravel(I would possibly consider have a dirt sub layer, if that's gonna help my plants).

I was also thinking I would look into a pressurized CO2 system. I know very little about how it all works and any suggested CO2 for dummies-type units would be great...

I am currently keeping a few swords of different types, and not much else besides that, but in my tank's hey-day there were a multitude of plants growing harmoniously with my goldfish(they can only eat so much lol).

I wanna do it right the first time around, and I have the opportunity to really take my time and make it perfect... I really like the look of tanks with lights hanging or suspended in some way with the top of the tank open... I also want my plants to do well without having tons of algae to deal with. I don't really understand how to figure out LED lighting requirements and all this new-fangled stuff that's going on since the last time I set up a tank.

Any suggested reading or advice is much appreciated! Thanks

thrak76

AC Members
May 31, 2009
The light fixture you referred to would be enough light. Maybe too much light if you're not going to CO2 inject, and maintain a fertilizing routine. I have a 4 bulb T5 fixture, and i only use 2 bulbs. I also am injecting CO2 and using the EI ferts method. I have a very manageable 75 gallon planted tank with this setup.
The legs are very cool on that unit, and the moonlights are a nice bonus. I ended up using the white LEDS for my moonlights, but i can cap them with a blue filter if i want. I just personally like the look of the white better at night.

I'd have to agree with you on the PFS substrate. When i get the courage to break down and re-do my 75 (again), i'll probably scrap my PFS-capped MTS substrate and go with straight Aqua Soil. It'll be spendy, but from everyone's accounts, it's worth it.

CO2 is a tricky business, and you'd do yourself well to really research and learn about it thoroughly. A "CO2 for dummies" type setup it probably not in yours, or you livestock's best interest. There are a couple other forums that you can gain some knowledge from. You may already visit these.
The Planted Tank &
The Barr Report

Good luck to you, and a 75g is a fantastic sized tank!

anniejensen

AC Members
Feb 23, 2009
Thanks for your input. I appreciate the links... learning and planning the tank is so much fun... like drawing out the excitement of getting a new tank! I am now, unfortunately, possibly considering keeping my 55. I'm hoping that's just the lack of sleep and overload on options talking... I really couldn't stomach weekly water changes on two large tanks! But I look at all these elaborate planted tanks and it makes me wanna keep my plant-eating brutes in the 55 and set up something really amazing in the 75. Ah, my wife would kill me... LOL!

dani_starr

AC Members
Aug 6, 2011
California
Real Name
Dani :)
Thanks for your input. I appreciate the links... learning and planning the tank is so much fun... like drawing out the excitement of getting a new tank! I am now, unfortunately, possibly considering keeping my 55. I'm hoping that's just the lack of sleep and overload on options talking... I really couldn't stomach weekly water changes on two large tanks! But I look at all these elaborate planted tanks and it makes me wanna keep my plant-eating brutes in the 55 and set up something really amazing in the 75. Ah, my wife would kill me... LOL!
As for water changes, I recommend getting a python. Sure it was $50 from Amazon, but holey cramole has this thing changed my life! Water changes of 50% for my 55 gallon and 29 gallon tank 10 minutes, TOPS, and no more buckets! Just connect to sink, and voila you are good to go basically! :)

And as for your wife, just make to sure spoil her with a home cooked dinner and movie she loves, massage, diamond necklace, framed photo of you two, a night out, whatever she loves, and then slip in "and I going to have two tanks now" then kiss her.

Just my two cents if you decide to keep the other tank set up :)

Gbbudd

AC Members
Feb 16, 2007
I don't care for those sink syphons. Yes they are quick and easy but chlorine which is in all tap water it's job is to inhibit bacterial growth. yes we drink it every day. well some do anyways but we don't live in it and while many people do use these process. The benefits to aging water will no tinhit bacterial growth which all tanks need.

anniejensen

AC Members
Feb 23, 2009
I have a python hose and I still don't like doing water changes. I think I'm going to go the natural planted tank route... I'm looking to rehome my 2 fancy goldfish. It will be a low-tech setup that will hopefully become very low maintenance over time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store