New 90 gallon reef setup

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

whaddisfish

AC Members
Dec 25, 2011
so i dont need a skimmer if its a fowlr with only 2-3 fish? and i mite jus keep mushrooms coz fowlrs are jus too dry looking. And as for a fish it would probly a blue damsel and a pair of ocellaris/perc clowns. Will the mushrooms survive around 50 watt of lighting for 12 hrs a day?

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
A skimmer would certainly help but no it isn't required. You will want to stay on top of your water changes though (suggest weekly). I've seen shrooms live in a tank only lit by fluorescent bulbs in the ceiling (ambient lighting) so will they live, probably, will they color up and thrive, probably not.

rogersb

AC Members
Apr 9, 2008
Shrooms, kenya trees, and probably gsp would live under that lighting but not color up nicely. Like having brown decorations. Also, it's hard to read your posts when everything is written like you're texting, can you add more letters. I didn't really read your last couple of posts because it was hurting my head, I just read the replies.

whaddisfish

AC Members
Dec 25, 2011
okay then imma keep some mushrooms then jus to add abit of colour to the scape. and as for the first do u think its fine?

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
IDK what U mean by 1st? :)

whaddisfish

AC Members
Dec 25, 2011
nvm i think it was a typo. But how many watts of lighting is required for a 20 g reef tank? like i mite hav this 20 g for abit longer and postpone the 90 g for now becoz of my busy days. so i might want to grow corals in the the 20 g. im also adding a hang-on skimmer.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Wattage is fairly irrelevant in a reef tank. We are more concerned about PAR in SW. Example would be a 72W LED fixture can produce as much PAR as a 250W metal halide. I believe you mentioned earlier that the lighting you have is just a stock fluorescent fixture. If that is what you have, its not going to work for most corals (again you may keep shrooms alive but not thriving). Acceptable fluorescent lighting for a reef would be power compact and T5HO.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store