New Africans Rubbing on the Rocks is my Ph too high?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

demon_surfer

MooOOoOOOoO
Jan 28, 2003
Visit site
They may just be a bit stressed out is all, are the ones rubbing up against the rock being beat on alot maybe? give it some time before you put meds up, but you could try doing a water change and upping the temp a few degrees.

You said they where new, how new..if you are talking about you JUST put them in the tank then it maybe that the comditions of your water..PH etc are diffrent significantly from what the place you got them from had. This can cause stress and rubbing on rocks is a sign of that. give it some time and see what happens.

but yeah if ich appears treat it :)

Reiner

AC Members
Dec 2, 2002
Los Angeles
Visit site
I'm with JSchmidt all the way on this 1. My Red Empress and the Moorii both do the very same thing and it is just a sign of trying to establish dominance. Keep an eye on them though but I would hold of on treading them for a little until you know more.

dcallen

The Spurs: World Champs again!
May 6, 2003
Texas
Visit site
Hey Guys,

Thanks so much for all the advice. Jschmidt and demon_surfer I just put the fish in this past Tuesday, the only fish in there at the time was my juvenile yellow lab. I added all juvenile fish as well, and the yellow lab was chasing the fish unmercifully, it's not as bad now as it was the first day though. I have noticed that the fish are flaring their fins as well. The Red Empress was the one that displaying the behavior the most with the rubbing thing and shaking a bit, but I've seen all of them flare their fins. I have noticed no outward sign of infection, I did test the water last night the Ph is about 8.3-8.4, ammonia at 0 and nitrites at 0 as well. The nitrate is about 15-20 ppm within the safe area. I know that my Ph is higher than the LFS for sure, so maybe they just freaked a little too, I'll keep an eye out and see what happens. Thanks again...

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
I concur...the yellow lab is bound to do some chasing, as being bumped from "only cichlid" status to "one of plenty" cuts down on the territory held by said fish.

None of them have established territory, so it makes more sense that they would be flexing the muscles a little bit.

Even though it seems to be normal behaviour in the eyes of the most experienced of the respondents to your thread, I would be remiss to say that you no longer need a q-tank. For this instance, you probably do not need one, but, given the way cichlids can behave, you might want one in case territorial battles in the near future turn ugly.

dcallen

The Spurs: World Champs again!
May 6, 2003
Texas
Visit site
Thanks again, I believe from what you all have said that it is probably just normal cichlid behavior. ChiliDawg I agree with you it would be nice to have a Q Tank for sure, I think I'll invest in a 10 gallon tank, heater, and sponge filter. Do you recommend starting it with all new water or getting some water from my cichlid tank? Thanks and sorry for all the questions...

-Don..

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
Don, I recommend running the sponge in the main tank, and maybe stealing a little bit of established gravel from there, but water really doesn't contain beneficial bacteria to the extent that substrate and filter media do...just as long as the water is similar to what is in the main tank, you should be okay on the q-tank experience.

~Matthew

Cloud-9

AC Members
May 11, 2003
Reidsville, GA
Visit site
Quarantine Tank

You have many options in managing a quarantine tank. I used to clean the tank and let it dry after being used to house a fish being medicated. I leave it dry until needed. I chose this option so that I won't have to do any maintenance on it. Letting the tank dry might also help kill any microorganisms that are in there.

You can also keep it running at all times. Perhaps you might be able to put a very hardy fish in there to keep it cycled. The tank will always be ready to house any sick fish. In a normal soft to medium water tank, a corydora would fill this role quite nicely. He will just go through whatever treatment the temporary occupants go through. He'll be the cleanest fish in your collection. This may not work with highly aggressive fishes even if your maintenance fish is also from the rift lakes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store