New apple snails are inactive - need help to save them

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Chickadee

Snail addict
Dec 26, 2010
Traverse City, MI
I didn't even think about that. Come to think of it, it does look like a fungus. It's cottony looking and both snails have it now. I do have some fungus meds that I used on my betta. Thanks for the caution about using it on inverts. I'll do some research and see what I can find out.

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
if both have it its probably a fungus that set in from the stress of the cycle. Keeping pritstine water will help some itself and im sure there is an invert safe fungus cure or one specifically for inverts

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Chickadee

Snail addict
Dec 26, 2010
Traverse City, MI
Is it possible that the temperature drop when I lost power for 16 hours could've added to their stress? They're still hanging in there. They were pretty still this morning and did not look good. After midday and evening water changes they are a little more responsive. They are opening up wider but still not showing their faces. There is some slime/fungus (whichever it is) around the opening, but it may be the same stuff from last night. It's fuzzy looking but there are some small gobs that look like pearls.

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
Yes a fluctuation in temp deff adds to stress especially if it gets colder than is recommended for them. Keep up the w.c and look for a fungus cure thats invert safe. It cant hurt to treat them for it (provided its safe for them) and may cure them! Keep us updated on whats going on

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Chickadee

Snail addict
Dec 26, 2010
Traverse City, MI
I think the blue one is dead and the brown one isn't far behind. I wish I knew what went wrong. My ammonia and nitrite have both been .25 for several days now. I've been doing 3-4 water changes a day. Is it possible that the tank is stuck in the cycle because the snails aren't eating and producing waste? I'm going to get my water tested before I get anymore snails. Something isn't right. I feel terrible about what I did to them. They were fine when I got them and I basically tortured them for the last 3 weeks.

mykidsmylife

Princess of Peons
Aug 26, 2005
Indiana, U.S.A.
The best way to tell if it's dead is to take it out of the water and take a good smell of it. You will know....trust me.

Just keep dosing with the ammonia or food. However you are cycling. Sometimes it seems like the cycle stalls but it will eventually convert.

Don't be too rough on yourself. Things like this has happened to most of us at some point in our fish keeping. As long as you learn from it, which you obviously have, it's okay. Just think, when you tank completes its cycle you can add some more and I have complete faith your next ones will be very well cared for. Heck if you are in the US I will gladly send you some of my babies for free. I know they would be well cared for. :D. Just shoot me a PM in a month or so and I will mail some to you.

Chin up and patience. You are doing the best you can at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Chickadee

Snail addict
Dec 26, 2010
Traverse City, MI
Unfortunately the snails are dead :( Still wish I understood what went wrong. I know cycling is hard on them, but the readings never spiked past .25 and I was changing the water. Trying to decide if I should get more snails since the tank is partially cycled and the annubias is growing well (go figure). Then again, I don't want to torture more of them if there's a problem with my water. Trying to find a place that tests it around here.

A big thank you to AquaticAustin for sticking with me on the thread, and to mykidsmylife for your help & support. I might take you up on the baby snails if I can get this water problem straightened out. Would much rather deal with aquarium breeders than Petsmart!

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
No problem! Sorry to hear about your losses, at this point you can do a fish-less cycle until your tank is cycled so you dont have any more losses. It is possible you have heavy metals or some other problem as well, the oddest part for me is the large spike you got from only having two snails in a tank by themselves despite doing so many wc's. Truly odd!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store