New betta eating his poop, giving himself swim bladder problems

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

saram82

AC Members
Mar 21, 2009
Hello, I have an odd issue with a new Betta. He's in a 3 gallon, I've had him for about a month, and his ammonia/nitrate/nitrite are all zero because his tank is still cycling. His ammonia will climb to 0.5 every couple of days and I'll do a partial water change. He eats 2 pellets twice a day of New Life Spectrum Betta formula. He's very active, has good color, and is a voracious eater.

So here's the issue: after having him for about a week and a half, I still hadn't seen any poop in his tank, even though he was eating all of his food. One day, I finally saw 1 poop at the front of his tank, but by the time I'd gotten my baster to remove it, it was gone. So, that's when I began suspecting that he was eating all of his poop. A day or two after that happened, he presented with symptoms of swim bladder disease--floating at the top of his tank, unable to descend easily, and having some trouble keeping himself upright. He was not bloated though, but I decided to treat him as though he were constipated so I fasted him for about 3 days. After the first day of fasting, he seemed fine in the morning before I went to work. By the time I got home in the evening, he was floating again and having the swim bladder troubles. I continued fasting him, and the same pattern happened the next day--fine in the morning, floating in the evening. On the second evening, I added epsom salt to his water, and some General Cure because his gills looked a bit swollen and I thought that maybe parasites were causing his issues. He seemed fine again the next morning, but was floating again in the evening. So, I fed him a pea, and continued the full course of the parasite treatment. The next day, there were little green poos in the tank and he was swimming just fine. I cleaned the poo, resumed feeding him like normal, and he was fine again for several days. His gill swelling was also gone. It's been just under a week since I completed all of that, and now he's floating again like he has swim bladder issues, and I've never seen any poop in his tank after that one time with the pea. I gave him another pea last night, but he was still floating this morning and I haven't gotten home yet to see if he's pooped. Does anyone have any advice? He has never looked bloated like I would expect from a constipated fish, but my only guess is that he's eating his food and all of his poop and thus overfeeding himself. I'm at a loss.

Update: I got home from work, there was a big poop, but he was still at the top of his tank, having trouble swimming. I cleaned out the poo, did some other chores, and then sat down to dinner. As I've sat here eating, I've watched him transition from struggling at the top of his tank since I got home 30 minutes ago, to suddenly swimming around like there's nothing wrong. I ran over to see if perhaps he'd pooped again but there's nothing there! What is up with him?!

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Typically with animals eating their poop it is either a learned behaviour that has become habitual, or a nutrient deficiency. Typically, if a hungry fish (or a bored fish, or a goldfish) sees their feces floating in the tank they will suck it into their mouth to see if its food and will then spit it back out. If he really is eating his feces, then I would recommend upping his food as he may not be getting enough. However, I imagine the reason you haven't seen much feces is that he isn't eating enough and thus they are very small and are rapidly degraded into the substrate. The reason you noticed it with the pea is that he was fed a large meal at one time and didn't slowly digest it little by little as he would with two small meals a day. This could also be why your tank is taking very long to cycle as well. Is this tank filtered btw?

On the days that you have found him first begin to struggle have you tested your water? Water quality issues can result in swim bladder issues and when I see gills that look swollen the first thing I suspect is ammonia. Instead of fasting him next time you see the issue, take a water sample, set it aside and immediately change 50% of the water. Then test the original sample and compare it to a test of the tank after the change has occurred. I would be willing to bet that the reason for his behaviour and symptoms is rapid water quality fluctuations.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
liquid test kit?

what kind of filter?

saram82

AC Members
Mar 21, 2009
Typically with animals eating their poop it is either a learned behaviour that has become habitual, or a nutrient deficiency. Typically, if a hungry fish (or a bored fish, or a goldfish) sees their feces floating in the tank they will suck it into their mouth to see if its food and will then spit it back out. If he really is eating his feces, then I would recommend upping his food as he may not be getting enough. However, I imagine the reason you haven't seen much feces is that he isn't eating enough and thus they are very small and are rapidly degraded into the substrate. The reason you noticed it with the pea is that he was fed a large meal at one time and didn't slowly digest it little by little as he would with two small meals a day. This could also be why your tank is taking very long to cycle as well. Is this tank filtered btw?

On the days that you have found him first begin to struggle have you tested your water? Water quality issues can result in swim bladder issues and when I see gills that look swollen the first thing I suspect is ammonia. Instead of fasting him next time you see the issue, take a water sample, set it aside and immediately change 50% of the water. Then test the original sample and compare it to a test of the tank after the change has occurred. I would be willing to bet that the reason for his behaviour and symptoms is rapid water quality fluctuations.
Sorry for the delay in responding, my week got busy =)
I've actually done the water test recommendation, and each time he's had swim bladder issues the ammonia has been at 0.5 (I have a liquid kit). I've then done a partial change and it's gone down to 0. Even with the water change, his condition doesn't seem to improve until I give him a pea.

Feeding him more is an interesting idea. The general recommendation I've gotten from Betta websites and from my LFS is 2-3 pellets twice per day, so that's what I follow. Apparently their stomachs are only about the size of one of their eyes. I have a second Betta as well, and he eats the same amount, and he has regular, normal sized bowel movements. It sounds as though you have experience with labyrinth fish; do you have any experience with Bettas specifically?

Last edited:

saram82

AC Members
Mar 21, 2009
liquid test kit?

what kind of filter?
Hello,

I do have a liquid Master Test Kit, and his tank is filtered with a cartridge that contains carbon and filter floss. I also added some ceramic bio filter pellets to it for good measure =)

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
I used to have a fantail goldfish that would develop "swim bladder issues" immediately after eating. What was happening was that it was gulping air along with the flake food, and the situation would eventually resolve itself and it would swim normally again. I switched to a granule type food, and the "swim bladder issues" stopped.

Not sure this is the case here, but am commenting for the info.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store