New Betta tank, seeking advise: water OK?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Moby2BettaBuddy

AC Members
May 15, 2016
Folsom CA
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Randy Henniger
Camera Used
iPhone 6s
That API test kit is the way to for sure. Is that an Anubias plant in the pot? It would be a lot happier attached to a rock or a piece of wood. Otherwise its a fantastic looking little set up for a betta!
Thank you for your reply and confirming the API test kit is the way to go. Yes, I think the plant in the pot is an Anubias. It is planted in substate in the little pot. If I take it out of the pot and attach it to a rock, does it need to be rooted in the tank substrate, or does it not need to be rooted?

I am a bit concerned about the number of plants I have in this 3 gallon tank with only one Betta and three small snails. I've read that the plants need more CO2 that what one fish will produce. Can you please comment on my concern?

Thank you and wishing you happy, healthy fish keeping.
Randy

Moby2BettaBuddy

AC Members
May 15, 2016
Folsom CA
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Randy Henniger
Camera Used
iPhone 6s
That API test kit is the way to for sure. Is that an Anubias plant in the pot? It would be a lot happier attached to a rock or a piece of wood. Otherwise its a fantastic looking little set up for a betta!
Thank you for your reply and confirming the API test kit is the way to go. Yes, I think the plant in the pot is an Anubias. It is planted in substate in the little pot. If I take it out of the pot and attach it to a rock, does it need to be rooted in the tank substrate, or does it not need to be rooted?

I am a bit concerned about the number of plants I have in this 3 gallon tank with only one Betta and three small snails. I've read that the plants need more CO2 that what one fish will produce. Can you please comment on my concern?

Thank you and wishing you happy, healthy fish keeping.
Randy

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
anubias don't want to be rooted in the substrate. they are happier when they can root into a piece of wood.

as for the amount of plants vs the c02 - don't worry about that. if your plants are all easy care (anubias are, and i believe most of your others are as well-i'm not a huge plant geek so don't know a whole lot). just give them a proper light schedule (8 to 10 hours per day) and they should be just fine.

Moby2BettaBuddy

AC Members
May 15, 2016
Folsom CA
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Randy Henniger
Camera Used
iPhone 6s
anubias don't want to be rooted in the substrate. they are happier when they can root into a piece of wood.

as for the amount of plants vs the c02 - don't worry about that. if your plants are all easy care (anubias are, and i believe most of your others are as well-i'm not a huge plant geek so don't know a whole lot). just give them a proper light schedule (8 to 10 hours per day) and they should be just fine.
Thank you!
I will buy a piece of driftwood and attach the Anubias to it as you suggest
Health and happy fish wishes!
Randy

Reactions: BettaFishMommy

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
Anubias are super easy to keep. I've "planted" a couple just by putting the roots only into the sand and leaving the rhizome above the substrate. I've tied them to suction cups to place in the output flow of the built in filter compartment in my little 3.7g betta tank. I've even tied them to wood, and then had them work their roots down into the sand.

You don't have to use driftwood for the anubias. You can tie it to a decoration or a rock (and then you can set the rock inside the pot). They are very tolerant plants as long as you don't bury the rhizome.

As to driftwood, it's not always necessary, but the right piece can make a tank look absolutely amazing. I have it in my tanks because I like the look - along with live plants. Sometimes you need to treat it first - either boiling or soaking, to sterilize it and waterlog it. Wood tends to leach out tannins, which aren't harmful, but does discolor the water. Just watch out for soft woods, which can rot and cause serious water quality issues.

Moby2BettaBuddy

AC Members
May 15, 2016
Folsom CA
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Randy Henniger
Camera Used
iPhone 6s
Anubias are super easy to keep. I've "planted" a couple just by putting the roots only into the sand and leaving the rhizome above the substrate. I've tied them to suction cups to place in the output flow of the built in filter compartment in my little 3.7g betta tank. I've even tied them to wood, and then had them work their roots down into the sand.

You don't have to use driftwood for the anubias. You can tie it to a decoration or a rock (and then you can set the rock inside the pot). They are very tolerant plants as long as you don't bury the rhizome.

As to driftwood, it's not always necessary, but the right piece can make a tank look absolutely amazing. I have it in my tanks because I like the look - along with live plants. Sometimes you need to treat it first - either boiling or soaking, to sterilize it and waterlog it. Wood tends to leach out tannins, which aren't harmful, but does discolor the water. Just watch out for soft woods, which can rot and cause serious water quality issues.
Thank you for your guidance on keeping happy, healthy plants in my fluval spec 3 tank.

Moby2BettaBuddy

AC Members
May 15, 2016
Folsom CA
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Randy Henniger
Camera Used
iPhone 6s
welcome to the forum! and thank you for getting your betta into a proper tank instead of a bowl!

sounds like your snails are nerites. the nerite snail eggs will not hurt your betta at all. you can always remove them if they get to be too many. just pick them off with your fingernail. they won't hatch unless you have brackish water (it's like halfway between freshwater and saltwater to give you the cliff notes version of what brackish is).

i think you are testing your water with test strips (based on you stating gh and kh), and those are not very accurate. i'd suggest getting the API freshwater master kit. it is much better and you'll have a much more accurate look at your water parameters that way. with your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate all at zero, you likely don't have a cycled tank yet, and may see an ammonia spike happen yet.

ps - Moby is beautiful!
Hi BettaFishMommy:
I just received my API freshwater masters kit. It's great! I feel like I am back in High School Chemistry Lab! Much more accurate reading, but still zero nitrites and nitrates. Sigh. I've added some bacteria starter and hope Moby2's tank will get through it cycling soon. Ammonia is still at zero, checking daily and doing a water exchange (33%) weekly using DI water.

Question: Do I need to continue the alkalinity and hardness tests using the test strips? Are they important elements of safe water to keep my Betta Buddy happy and healthy?

Thank you!

Sep 1, 2015
Texas
Real Name
Brian
Alkalinity and hardness can be relevant statistics for some fish, but I don't think they are important for betta, as they are mostly commercially bred and can thus adapt more easily to a wider range of conditions. Of course. you can go ahead and continue if you want though. The biggest thing to watch for there is that the parameters are consistent. If they have been fairly stable in the past though, I wouldn't bother testing it.

Brian

Moby2BettaBuddy

AC Members
May 15, 2016
Folsom CA
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Randy Henniger
Camera Used
iPhone 6s
Alkalinity and hardness can be relevant statistics for some fish, but I don't think they are important for betta, as they are mostly commercially bred and can thus adapt more easily to a wider range of conditions. Of course. you can go ahead and continue if you want though. The biggest thing to watch for there is that the parameters are consistent. If they have been fairly stable in the past though, I wouldn't bother testing it.

Brian
Brian,
Thank you.
Randy

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
IMO the test strips aren't very accurate, and i personally won't use them.

why are you using dionized water for water changes? i assume that's what you mean by DI? Not needed. if your tap water is safe to drink and you are using Prime dechlorinator, then just use tap water.

Reactions: Moby2BettaBuddy
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store