New brackish tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Industrial

AC Members
Oct 29, 2009
Buffalo, NY
Okay, earlier today I added my smaller glassfish. He seemed okay and didn't turn any colors so I decided I would add the dragon goby today. At the fish store, I saw a purple spotted goby. This fish did not sound familiar, but it looked familiar. They told me at the store it was freshwater but most gobys can also get used to brackish water. Either way, this fish looked really interesting. Either it ate only live foods and would live with my baby whale, or it ate flakes and would live in my 29g community, or it was brackish and would live in my brackish tank.

I took it home and floated it in the tank that will be brackish and sure enough it was a brackish fish which is perfect. I hear these may be fin nippers though, so I will have to keep an eye on it before adding guppies.

I floated him in the water and let him calm down and then I took out my dragon goby and started acclimating him to the water.

He absolutely loves the sand. After about 2 minutes of digging my tank looks like it did when I first added the water.

BILD2273.JPG BILD2274.JPG BILD2278.JPG BILD2267.JPG BILD2277.JPG

Lycanthropic

AC Members
Jun 29, 2009
Alberta
I thought i would give you a tip. Because it is a new tank, sometimes the levels can go a bit out of whack. Dragons IME are very sensitive to these changes, so if you ever see him gasping at the top it means something is wrong and needs to be fixed NOW. Usually they only do it during Nitrate Spikes and Ammonia Spikes, but they will do it if too cold as well, as I have learned my lesson twice... >.<

Industrial

AC Members
Oct 29, 2009
Buffalo, NY
I thought i would give you a tip. Because it is a new tank, sometimes the levels can go a bit out of whack. Dragons IME are very sensitive to these changes, so if you ever see him gasping at the top it means something is wrong and needs to be fixed NOW. Usually they only do it during Nitrate Spikes and Ammonia Spikes, but they will do it if too cold as well, as I have learned my lesson twice... >.<
Yeah, that is why I tried to use a lot of the water from the other tank. I would think the only thing that would cause problems might be changes in the PH and hardness that I am guessing came from the sand and crushed coral.

If he starts to have any problems though I will make sure I diagnose the problem and fix it as fast as I can.

Industrial

AC Members
Oct 29, 2009
Buffalo, NY
Yesterday I added my second glassfish to the tank.

Today I bought some more rocks and started the acclimation. Today I did a 4-5 gallon water change and the new water is 2 tsps of marine salt per gallon. I'm trying to keep it small right now because I plan on getting a couple more glassfish and maybe a few halfbeaks if I can find some soon. These guys will likely come from freshwater tanks with very little salt (just enough to prevent disease, but not near BW).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store