New Clam Pic

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

schigara

AC Members
Jan 2, 2005
Memphis, Tn
www.geocities.com
I picked up this clam a couple weeks ago. It was sold as a Maxxima? Don't know for sure. This is the first time I have had a clam this small 2" so since the pic, I set him on a small rock and he has attached. I feed him a cap of Dt's every 2-3 days by placing him with his rock in a bowl and then pull him out of the tank and pour in the phyto and let him sit for about 30 min till the green clears up.

06scoob

AC Members
Jun 23, 2007
is this normally the way people feed clams? arent they filter feeders in a way? im inquiring because im intrested in one but want to research neccesities before i purchase one

schigara

AC Members
Jan 2, 2005
Memphis, Tn
www.geocities.com
I have read that when a clam is small less than 2" in length, they benefit from being fed in this manner. This way gives the clam a very high ratio of phytoplankton to water.

Supposedly, after 2" in length, the clam can sustain and grow from intense light and the small amount of plankton in our closed systems

is this normally the way people feed clams? arent they filter feeders in a way? im inquiring because im intrested in one but want to research neccesities before i purchase one

Almondsaz

AC Members
May 26, 2007
I have a corcea and have never "spot fed" her. She seems to be very happy and healthy. I would keep an eye on my calcium levels as the clam starts to grow, rumor has it they can really drink the calcium from your system. BTW - beautiful maxima. I saw one just like it in the store but my tank is too small for a maxima and had to pass it up. Please post more pics as it grows, really nice clam you have.

schigara

AC Members
Jan 2, 2005
Memphis, Tn
www.geocities.com
After reading an article again on the growth of juvenile clam, It basically states the Zooxanthellae bacteria which eventually makes its way into the mantle of the clam and, through photosynthesis, helps to feed the clam.

When the clam is a juvenile, it is lacking in the Zooxanthellae bacteria therefore needs the supplemental phytoplankton through it's digestive system which is no longer needed in as high a quantity once the clam has matured and acquired the needed amount of Zooxanthellae.

schigara

AC Members
Jan 2, 2005
Memphis, Tn
www.geocities.com
Thanks Almondsaz

I need to place a ruler next to it so I document the growth with pictures.

I have never read a clam will die without spot feeding. Everything I have read just states that it helps and is beneficial to the growth of a juvenile clam.

I have a corcea and have never "spot fed" her. She seems to be very happy and healthy. I would keep an eye on my calcium levels as the clam starts to grow, rumor has it they can really drink the calcium from your system. BTW - beautiful maxima. I saw one just like it in the store but my tank is too small for a maxima and had to pass it up. Please post more pics as it grows, really nice clam you have.

archer772

AC Members
Apr 20, 2006
Caro Michigan
Thats not a rumor as far as I am concerned, they seem to be like a Calcium sponge. I dont run a reactor so I am adding calcium 2-3 times a week to keep it up around 400-450. I have 3 clams ranging in size from 2 1/2 inches to about 5 1/2-6 inches plus a couple of stonies and some LPS's so that might be why I am adding so much calcium.

I would keep an eye on my calcium levels as the clam starts to grow, rumor has it they can really drink the calcium from your system.

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
Very nice clam..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store