New CO2 Set-Up Questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mfield4

AC Members
Jul 11, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Real Name
Mike
OK so I finally received the last of my CO2 system components in the mail yesterday and set up everything. I have a 20# tank, AZOO CO2 regulator, glass check valve, bubble counter, and large diffuser.

I connected the regulator to the tank, tightened it as far as I could, and turned the bad boy on. :devil:

At this point I was just testing everything since it was light out already, so I didn't even have the solenoid plugged in. My question is what should my gauges be reading? One is reading about 60psi, the other 900 psi. 60 seems a bit high, but the AZOO is supposed to be preset. Is this ok?

Also, before I connected anything at all, I put a CO2 drop checker in my tank. When the lights came on today it was green, which means my CO2 is good, correct? This is w/o any CO2 added..... I am a bit confused now. Do I even need CO2?? :help:

My current setup is 75g moderately planted tank, overstocked slightly, w/ approx 3.5 watts/gallon lighting. I have 50/50 flourite/gravel mixture, and dose with flourish and flourish iron twice a week. The ph is around 6.5 due to a lot of driftwood, and I run an air pump when the lights go out(I will stop this when I start the co2 system).

Last question, my girlfriend thinks that having a CO2 tank in the house is extremely dangerous. Can someone calm her fears by simply stating otherwise so I can show it to her? Thanks!

coach_z

AC Members
Jan 12, 2009
NJ - Northern
Real Name
Chris
congrats on the setup!
if you are not using 4dkh water than the results of your drop checker is going to be skewed. Yes, i know it says "fill with tank water add these drops." that is a bunch of BS. Make or buy 4dkh solution for it.

I dont know anything about your regulator and adjusting it. but i found this: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/equipment/54275-azoo-regulator-manifold.html use at your own risk :)

Lastly, the girlfriend. They are really the biggest hinder to a beautiful tank, instead of spending time on the tank the girlfriend requires you spend time with her. It is a lose lose situation. Dump the girlfriend* and buy a second tank ;) What you should really do is tell her that it is a simple gas and nothing bad is going to happen. Every restaurant deals with them and when you are in a restaurant you are generaly in the vicinity of 20 50# tanks. They let the people who work at fast food joints* touch the CO2 tanks for the sodas. Buy a proper chain to secure the tank so that it does not fall over. Spray the connectors with soapy water to ensure that there is no leak. You should already have a co2 detector in your house should the tank leak. The tanks are inspected regularly and cannot be filled if they fail inspection. Everything will be fine. If this still doesnt help the girlfriend situation, i seriously suggest finding a different one*. ;)

*note: dont get offended....just dont.

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
draft beer... co2 tank
serve yourself soda at mcdonalds... there's tanks right there that 16yr old kids maintain
tonic water at a bar... co2 tank maintained by a drunken bar maid
beer meister... needs a co2 tank... drunken fools carelessly toss them in the back of their pickups all the time
bb guns... work on small co2 tanks... or pump action
whipped cream makers... work on small co2 tanks... add heavy whipping cream, a co2 cartridge, a little sugar and pull the trigger, voila
paintball guns the kids play with... a co2 tank powers it

the difference between all these things and what you have.... your needle valve lowers the pressure coming out to a bare trickle... and your regulator should make your system a whole lot safer.

either way you look at it, having pressurized co2 in your house is safer than having a propane grill in your yard hands down.

rwilliams254

AC Members
May 16, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
You're house or the girlfriend's?

If it's your say so... "It's my house... not yours... STFU"

If it's your g/f's house.. then say... "I'm going to have this CO2 in my place or yours... your choice."

:)

mfield4

AC Members
Jul 11, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Real Name
Mike
Thanks for the replies. Lucky for me the girlfriends rule is that if a tank has water and fish in it, and we have room for it, then she has no problem! Lucky man right?? I am in the process of cycling a 30g cichlid tank!

She is all about chaining this thing down somehow, but seems at ease with the whole idea after reading your posts. I couldn't thank you more. (She did ask if you all know what the hell you were talking about)

Thanks for the link about my regulator, definitely going to lower my pressure to about 30psi... How many bbp should I aim for in a 75g tank?

note* any link on making my own 4dkh solution for the drop checker? I am being lazy I know, too tired to search myself.

mfield4

AC Members
Jul 11, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Real Name
Mike
Made my own 4dkh solution, everything seems to be working great, no leaks or anything. My only problem is that my solenoid does not appear to completely stop the CO2 output once it clicks off. I have it on a timer and I hear it click on and off, the only thing that happens, though, is I see a decreased bubble rate. What could my problem be?

coach_z

AC Members
Jan 12, 2009
NJ - Northern
Real Name
Chris
Thanks for the replies. Lucky for me the girlfriends rule is that if a tank has water and fish in it, and we have room for it, then she has no problem! Lucky man right?? I am in the process of cycling a 30g cichlid tank!

She is all about chaining this thing down somehow, but seems at ease with the whole idea after reading your posts. I couldn't thank you more. (She did ask if you all know what the hell you were talking about)

Thanks for the link about my regulator, definitely going to lower my pressure to about 30psi... How many bbp should I aim for in a 75g tank?

note* any link on making my own 4dkh solution for the drop checker? I am being lazy I know, too tired to search myself.
go to the search function, search for 4dkh, posts by username: dundadundun he posts up the formula for it regularly.

Of course we know what we are talking about!

how many bbs? However many it takes to turn your drop checker green. it is not going to be many if you have a canister. a few more per second if you have an HOB

mfield4

AC Members
Jul 11, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Real Name
Mike
I did make my own 4dkh solution, just havent tested to make sure it actually is 4dkh... Have to find a LFS who actually sells a KH test kit :shakehead:

Any idea about the solenoid not completely shutting off my CO2 when the timer clicks it off?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store