New Corals!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ken_Allen

AC Members
Sep 16, 2008
Yesterday I went to the LFS and picked up some new corals for my new tank. I got a frogspawn, zoo's, and a hammer. The hammer I got two heads for the price of one.

I'm wondering if a 65W coralife in a 20G is enough light for all of them?

ToeJam

MMORPG ADDICT!!
Jan 9, 2009
Tacoma,WA
it's borderline I think for the frogspawn and hammers on a 20...you may be ok..but dont expect fast growth. The zoos are fine under the lighting.

Just be sure to target feed so you dont have to over pollute the small tank... you may not have to...just may be easyer if you target feed the hammers and frog.

Keep an eye on them ... if you see pulling in with lights on and or loss of color .... test every thing and give us some numbers here...also raise them up closer to the light if you notice discoloration....

Change the actinic out if you have them in the light fixture... I recommend it because Actinic is mostly for bringing out color in a tank...the growth and most beneficial light is at the Lower K levels. so putting in 10k bulb to replace that actinic would be good idea...or a 14kish range if you want to keep some blue to bring out color.

Ken_Allen

AC Members
Sep 16, 2008
it's borderline I think for the frogspawn and hammers on a 20...you may be ok..but dont expect fast growth. The zoos are fine under the lighting.

Just be sure to target feed so you dont have to over pollute the small tank... you may not have to...just may be easyer if you target feed the hammers and frog.

Keep an eye on them ... if you see pulling in with lights on and or loss of color .... test every thing and give us some numbers here...also raise them up closer to the light if you notice discoloration....

Change the actinic out if you have them in the light fixture... I recommend it because Actinic is mostly for bringing out color in a tank...the growth and most beneficial light is at the Lower K levels. so putting in 10k bulb to replace that actinic would be good idea...or a 14kish range if you want to keep some blue to bring out color.
Thanks. I have the frogspawn right up about 8 inches from the light. The hammer is a little bit lower but not too much.

What should I do for iodine/calcium? Should I buy the kent coral stuff?

Last edited:

ktz216

AC Members
Dec 3, 2008
Ohio
The lighting should be ok since a 20 gallon tank isn't that deep, but it isn't good enough for lps and sps corals to grow.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store